Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Valid criticism of South Asian racial stereotyping or just Generation Snowflake over-thinking things to the point of disappearing up it's own ars* yet again?

Well? ???

'The Simpsons addresses Apu racial stereotype controversy'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43699224

RC832LG.jpg

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
To be fair, when I was young a few of the asian kids at school used to get bullied with Apu catchphrases. I imagine in the US where Apu is the only reference people have of south asians, the bullying/racial abuse was probably a lot worse.

I don't think this is 'generation snowflake', I think this has come out because people that were bullied as children for looking or sounding like Apu are now adults and have a platform. An example of someone that has spoken out against the Apu character in the past is Kumail Nanjiani, it's quite interesting to read his perspective on it.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
TBH I'm surprised it's taken this long for the Permanently Outraged to turn their fire on the Simpsons - and obviously it was going to be Apu rather than the white stereotypes (Fat Tony or Groundskeeper Willie for two examples) who would trigger it.

Ah well, I hope Groening doesn't just roll over, but once the forces of intolerance go on the march little seems to stop them nowadays.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Hank Azaria nailed it: "uniformly offensive without being outright hurtful."

They have stereotyped everyone, just watch the episode where the Simpsons go to Australia.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The Simpsons is nothing but stereotypes:

Hillbillies are inbred
Italian Americans are gangsters
Kids have ADHD
Americans are fat
Alcoholic teachers
Comic Book Guy
Hispanic tv with bumblebee man
Whenever the show 'Soccer' there's a South American commentator screaming about nothing

Who the **** cares.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

They have stereotyped everyone, just watch the episode where the Simpsons go to Australia.

Exactly. And whenever the British are referenced, we always have horrific teeth. Its just satirical observational humour, with a heavy dose of stereotyping thrown in. Its a cartoon, its not supposed to be taken seriously by anyone. But then some people do seem to go out of their way to get offended by something, anything.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
To be fair, when I was young a few of the asian kids at school used to get bullied with Apu catchphrases. I imagine in the US where Apu is the only reference people have of south asians, the bullying/racial abuse was probably a lot worse.

I don't think this is 'generation snowflake', I think this has come out because people that were bullied as children for looking or sounding like Apu are now adults and have a platform. An example of someone that has spoken out against the Apu character in the past is Kumail Nanjiani, it's quite interesting to read his perspective on it.

That's a good point. I remember similar occurrences when I was at school.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Simpsons is nothing but stereotypes:

Hillbillies are inbred
Italian Americans are gangsters
Kids have ADHD
Americans are fat
Alcoholic teachers
Comic Book Guy
Hispanic tv with bumblebee man
Whenever the show 'Soccer' there's a South American commentator screaming about nothing

Who the **** cares.

You forgot Sideshow Bob

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

"That's not a knife, that's a spoon"

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
offence.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

This.

Yes, but there are other white characters. Apu is the only one of his type regularly in it. That makes a difference.

And this.

Unless you have been intimidated for your skin colour, or place of birth, you cannot know what it is like for those who have.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, but there are other white characters. Apu is the only one of his type regularly in it. That makes a difference.
Groundskeeper Willie is the only one of his 'type' in it, and I think Fat Tony is the only Italian-American regularly in it.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
This.

And this.

Unless you have been intimidated for your skin colour, or place of birth, you cannot know what it is like for those who have.

Is this a case of privileged white people telling (traditionally) underprivileged people that they shouldn't be offended by something that they have and will never experience?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Is this a case of privileged white people telling (traditionally) underprivileged people that they shouldn't be offended by something that they have and will never experience?

I was just reminded of the Old Native American saying Don't criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here