Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Five key moments.....

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
According to the club's Web Page the 5 key moments from Saturdays game didn't include Duffy's assist to their Prolific Goal scorer!

I'm not one for looking for scapegoats but please don't pretend it didn't happen or give me B*llsh*t articles that insult my intelligence.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Five key moments were:

Propper's first minute miss
March's goal. Thanks Jonas
Their equalizer. Thanks Shane :facepalm:
The ref not sending Duffy off, when he ought to have done.
Izquierdo's missed one on one.

Propper's red clearly another big moment, but sticking to the limit of five. The red didn't actually affect the game as much as you'd expect (though it did rob us of the chance to unleash Locadia).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Five key moments were:

Propper's red clearly another big moment, but sticking to the limit of five. The red didn't actually affect the game as much as you'd expect (though it did rob us of the chance to unleash Locadia).

Mind me asking what stand you sit in (there is a reason for my question)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
According to the club's Web Page the 5 key moments from Saturdays game didn't include Duffy's assist to their Prolific Goal scorer!

I'm not one for looking for scapegoats but please don't pretend it didn't happen or give me B*llsh*t articles that insult my intelligence.

Quite. It was a comedy of Albion unforced errors throughout, but Duffy's shitferbrains moment handed them a point on a plate.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It didn't happen. Crooked Wagner invented it to deny us the win. The highlights on the failing Match of the Day were FAKE NEWS! #MBGA

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Five key moments were:

Why should Duffy have been sent off? The only thing I remember that might be a consideration was when he seemed to block of Van La Parra, but replays showed Van La Parra was pulling Duffy's arm and pulling Duffy into him, so it shouldn't have even been a free kick. Am I forgetting another incident?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Why should Duffy have been sent off? The only thing I remember that might be a consideration was when he seemed to block of Van La Parra, but replays showed Van La Parra was pulling Duffy's arm and pulling Duffy into him, so it shouldn't have even been a free kick. Am I forgetting another incident?

It should have been a second yellow for the challenge out wide. Not sure on who but the ref gave the foul so it looked an inevitable second yellow to me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

His back pass was a red card offence!!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It should have been a second yellow for the challenge out wide. Not sure on who but the ref gave the foul so it looked an inevitable second yellow to me.

If it's the same incident (was out wide on the east side south end), even if it's obstruction, Van La Parra had overhit the ball and was never going to collect it before Ryan, so the free kick would have been enough. Though as I say, replays show it was Van La Parra pulling Duffy into him, so shouldn't have been a free kick and a second yellow would have been a double error by the ref.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
If it's the same incident (was out wide on the east side south end), even if it's obstruction, Van La Parra had overhit the ball and was never going to collect it before Ryan, so the free kick would have been enough. Though as I say, replays show it was Van La Parra pulling Duffy into him, so shouldn't have been a free kick and a second yellow would have been a double error by the ref.

Yes that's the one then. The fact the ref gave a free kick but not a yellow is significant, although arguably Propper actually being sent is more significant IF you had to pick 5 rather than 6 key moments.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes that's the one then. The fact the ref gave a free kick but not a yellow is significant, although arguably Propper actually being sent is more significant IF you had to pick 5 rather than 6 key moments.

But there were a lot of times the ref gave a free kick and not a yellow, the only possible difference is that in the Duffy incident he shouldn't have given the free kick. If it shouldn't have been a yellow, the ref not giving the yellow isn't significant.

Last edited:

el punal

Quite. It was a comedy of Albion unforced errors throughout, but Duffy's shitferbrains moment handed them a point on a plate.

Spot on! Before and after Solly’s goal/OG we looked well in command, and well on to a second goal to seal it. Along comes Duffy to win the Colin Hawkins FFS Trophy for 2017/18 with his Specsavers moment. After that our confidence went, nerves took over and we handed Hudders whatever advantage we gained to them on a plate.

In the second half I don’t think any substitution would have worked as the whole team were below par. We really needed someone to step up, play with authority and conviction and lead. No one did.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
But there were a lot of times the ref gave a free kick and not a yellow, the only possible difference is that in the Duffy incident he shouldn't have given the free kick. If it shouldn't have been a yellow so the ref not giving the yellow isn't significant.

Yep fair points. I'd have the Propper sending off as my fifth, rather than this.

Arguably chuck in Hughton's delay in getting Ulloa on the pitch as well (others may add not bringing Locadia on)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mind me asking what stand you sit in (there is a reason for my question)

East, just North of halfway.

Despite the later discussion in this thread, whether it WAS actually a foul isn't the issue. The ref DID see it as a foul, and if it was, it was a pretty blatant block, with VLP past him. Very strange decision not to produce the second yellow IMO.

The only argument to me, was whether the ball had actually gone out before the challenge.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep fair points. I'd have the Propper sending off as my fifth, rather than this.

Fair argument. Personally, with Hudds' finishing team of 9 giants, I think we'd have coped less well in Duffy's absence for 30 minutes, than Davy's for 15.

(Though Davy's red is a far more key moment in the context of the season than Duffy's would have been. Given the respective replacement cover, losing him for 3 matches is massively worse than losing Duffy for just one).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Fair argument. Personally, with Hudds' finishing team of 9 giants, I think we'd have coped less well in Duffy's absence for 30 minutes, than Davy's for 15.

(Though Davy's red is a far more key moment in the context of the season than Duffy's would have been. Given the respective replacement cover, losing him for 3 matches is massively worse than losing Duffy for just one).

Fair argument, I agree with both of those. Would much rather have lost Duffy, with Goldson a very adequate replacement, than Propper for whom we have no real replacement. In fact I'd rather have Goldson up against Zaha than Duffy I think.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
East, just North of halfway.

Despite the later discussion in this thread, whether it WAS actually a foul isn't the issue. The ref DID see it as a foul, and if it was, it was a pretty blatant block, with VLP past him. Very strange decision not to produce the second yellow IMO.

The only argument to me, was whether the ball had actually gone out before the challenge.

But it's not a strange decision at all (and certainly not top 5 in a list of key moments).

Firstly, VLP wasn't past him, they were close together, shoulder to shoulder in what could have been argued (if you're not aware of VLP pulling Duffy in) a "smart" defensive challenge - the sort of easing off the ball/shepherd the ball out using his strength type of challenge that usually goes unpunished (I know I thought the ref was wrong to award a free kick even before I saw the replay that showed it was VLP doing the fouling).
Secondly, VLP overhit the ball and was never going to collect it if he isn't "fouled", so the ref shouldn't be (and rightly didn't) consider a yellow card.
Thirdly, I fail to see how, when replays show that VLP was pulling Duffy into him, it can be define as a 'pretty blatant block' just because the ref gave a free kick. Fouls don't have to be blatant or obvious for refs to give them, so him giving the free kick isn't enough to define it as 'blatant'.
Fourthly, in many of these cases where it's not so obvious, the ref will hedge his bets. Give the free kick in case it was a foul, but not book someone in case it wasn't, so it still isn't a strange decision.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here