Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One on ones with the keeper

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Having hardly had any this season we have had three in two matches. Missed them all but encouraging to see we are getting players into these positions now. Really should have scored all of them though.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Was interesting watching MOTD last night seeing quite how many one on ones were missed yesterday in the various games. Sterling had 2, Van Arnholt 1 and I'm sure there were a couple of others too

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
AK is our best player when it comes to one on one , although Murray is very good as well , either would of scored if they had the chances yesterday

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
AK is our best player when it comes to one on one , although Murray is very good as well , either would of scored if they had the chances yesterday

Indeed and don't bet your shirt when its Izzy put through. I feel he will delight and frustrate in equal measure. He'll lash in the odd screamer when he cuts in but when one on one requiring composure its looks like a hot potato with a heavy touch always imminent. How he didn't get a shot off was criminal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Although Murray missed a chance very similar to Proppers against Leicester.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
The one that Duffy did yesterday, wasn't that bad :shrug:

That was an assist, not a one-on-one.

We are seriously bad at one-on-ones lately. Unfortunately our most composed player in these situations is Murray, but he no longer seems to have the pace to take advantage when he is played through.

All of the other faster players (Izquierdo, Knockaert, Propper and March to name a few this season) who have been played through have not been sufficiently composed with their finishing.

Alanis Morrisette could write a song about this (or at least another verse for a well-known song).

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
It’s down to lack of composure. When they find themselves having too much time to think then the uncertainty takes over about how they handle the situation which then leads to a lack of conviction. They need to treat it like a penalty, know before hand what you would do and stick to it based on knowing that the goalkeeper will tend to always do the same thing by closing the space down and making themself big. Murray is the best we have in a 1 on 1 situation because he makes the angle to shoot early either side of the keeper - which correlates with him being our penalty taker. Yes he can miss on occasions, but will score more than he misses (remember how good the West Ham goal was). Izzy on the other hand has shown twice now (yesterday & Bournemouth) his indecision and as a result he gets too close to the keeper before trying to go round him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was interesting watching MOTD last night seeing quite how many one on ones were missed yesterday in the various games. Sterling had 2, Van Arnholt 1 and I'm sure there were a couple of others too

It's almost as if one-on-ones aren't the guaranteed goal that some seem to be treating them as in their criticism of Izquierdo.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's almost as if one-on-ones aren't the guaranteed goal that some seem to be treating them as in their criticism of Izquierdo.

I don't think anyone is saying it should be a certainty. But would like more instances when you will say that the keeper has done well. I'm more forgiving of the BMuff effort as Izzy had run half the length of the pitch.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And Izzy must score

Murray missed two against Joe Hart in London as well as against Leicester.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

It was the ghost of Ray Wilkins

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Had yesterday been the other way around Izzy passing through to Ulloa we would have scored and won, the game probably. I was surprised Izzy tried to go around the keeper and not just belt it goalwards.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Propper looked so composed for his chance yesterday at the time felt he was nailed on to score. The defender did well to get across but no excuses for missing the target.
Izzy's was just down to a poor first touch making it easy for the keeper.
We really need to be more clinical in front of goal. Do we have an attacking coach? Even in warm up we look pants on the one on one session blazing the ball to all parts of the North Stand.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Propper looked so composed for his chance yesterday at the time felt he was nailed on to score. The defender did well to get across but no excuses for missing the target.
Izzy's was just down to a poor first touch making it easy for the keeper.
We really need to be more clinical in front of goal. Do we have an attacking coach? Even in warm up we look pants on the one on one session blazing the ball to all parts of the North Stand.

This has been asked and suggested many times what is BZ doing? Does he spend all of his time at his football school in Dubai?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having hardly had any this season we have had three in two matches. Missed them all but encouraging to see we are getting players into these positions now. Really should have scored all of them though.

The advantage is always with the guy on the ball. At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, all he has to do is get the keeper to commit. Then either evade the commit or go to ground. Seems to me the worst thing you can do to a professional footballer is give them too much time to think. Because it's not what they're good at. It's all about the instinct and a completely different part of the brain.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The advantage is always with the guy on the ball. At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, all he has to do is get the keeper to commit. Then either evade the commit or go to ground. Seems to me the worst thing you can do to a professional footballer is give them too much time to think. Because it's not what they're good at. It's all about the instinct and a completely different part of the brain.

I'd go one further than that and instead of keep trying to round the keeper on the players right and side which we seem to be screwing up a lot, stick a deft little chip over the commited keeper back where he came from thats what I would do ha. It's something we definitely need to practice at maybe old NASL soccer penalty style with a dribble in from toward the half way line. But I know eff all about coaching but llookng at the one on ones we have had, it definitely looks like a lack of composure

Side tracking what concerned me more about watching MOTD last night was seeing the influence that (good or bad) VARs are going to have if our recent England game is anything to go by. Game influencing penalties and cards missed all over the shop. I was all for VAR but am starting to question it as its never going to be an exact science as opposed to the goal line technology which is working a blooming treat with no controversy whatsoever if the kit however it works is calibrated properly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here