• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Who would you have partnering Dunk at Selhurst? I'd give Connor a go. We've got enough strength in depth that we can replace players that are low on confidence or under performing.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Duffy .

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Who would you have partnering Dunk at Selhurst? I'd give Connor a go. We've got enough strength in depth that we can replace players that are low on confidence or under performing.
It's a rarity for CH to drop players on the strength of one mistake or bad game. Can't see it happening.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

It's almost like you get up early and hang around NSC on a Sunday on the off chance that your lot get mentioned. Haven't you got a furniture store to burn or mates to phone to plan taking the seats of legitimate ticket holders?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Duffy has been a disaster waiting to happen for a number of games now so no surprises when it did actually happen. His confidence is shot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Goldson for me although Benteke might also prefer that too as he is a bit suspect on high balls with big forwards attacking them and he is not match fit. Pace and the ability to close down Zaha better is a plus though. Tough decision but Duffy was so poor yesterday that I’d rather give Connor a chance.

I’d also start Locadia in the middle over Murray. I think it’s a given that we will set up defensively so pace on both wings and down the middle is likely to give us our best chance on the counter as pace on the wings and Murray lumbering forward means wingers arrive to cross the ball are unlikely to find an Albion player anywhere near the penalty area.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Pointless thread as Hughton has no history of dropping a regular starting player after a bad performance. It will be Duffy and Dunk against Palace and so it should be!

I know he does but that's exactly why I put the bit about strength in depth in the OP. Murray has been much better since we bought Locadia and loaned Ulloa. Just the threat of competition has made him a different player. If that's not working any more are our players getting too comfortable? Certainly looked it with one or two yesterday.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I prefer Goldson. Any player can make a mistake like Duffy did yesterday and he had an absolute 'mare of a game, I'm not judging him solely on that, but his recent form has not been good. I think that Connor oozes class, is much more comfortable on the ball, deceptively good in the air, quicker and an all round more intelligent footballer. It can take a few games to get up to speed though so it's a difficult decision. Hughton obviously prefers Duffy at the moment though, so I have to respect that.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Goldson.

Agree with #8

Duffy will get the nod though, for his obvious heading strength (hopefully) against master scorer Benteke.

Can’t see Benteke starting next week ( even if fit)
You’ll be up against pace .

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Have not been impressed with Duffy for a couple of games , yesterday was an awful performance , even let the ball bounce over his head

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I prefer Goldson. Any player can make a mistake like Duffy did yesterday and he had an absolute 'mare of a game, I'm not judging him solely on that, but his recent form has not been good. I think that Connor oozes class, is much more comfortable on the ball, deceptively good in the air, quicker and an all round more intelligent footballer. It can take a few games to get up to speed though so it's a difficult decision. Hughton obviously prefers Duffy at the moment though, so I have to respect that.

Duffy is fine with the aerial ball coming towards him and he can thump big, heavy headers high back up field. When he is attacking corners and free kicks offensively, nothing changes. Big, heavy headers thumped over the bar. No subtlety, no real touch. He is less mobile than the other three CB'S and is easily turned. Like Huddersfield, Palace will try and pull him out of position and expose his lack of pace and agility. Yesterday, he had already made two glaring errors in the first half hour before inevitably a third followed and a gift goal ensued.
Some posters are claiming one bad game. Firstly, it wasn't a bad game. It was an appalling game, devoid of confidence and riddled with mistakes. The worst performance by an Albion defender this season. Secondly, he has been struggling for a while but CH has persevered with him, to our cost. Analyse some of the goals we have conceded from set pieces and check where Duffy is in relation to the opposition danger men and his inability to react quickly enough.
Bruno was struggling and making mistakes earlier in the season and was fairly quickly dropped. Why should Duffy be bullet proof? Just because he can thump big, impressive headers upfield ( many of which come straight back at us ) it shouldn't cover up other weaknesses in his game.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I can see CH making a change to formation and playing three centre halves. Propper and Stephens cover the back two so well and with Propper being out for three games we need to ease the pressure on Stephens.
I know we lost to Chelsea playing three at the back but 4-1 flattered Chelsea and we created several opportunities.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Hope we don't play wing backs. Duffy frequently plays back passes without looking first. Pretty thick. Worry about him against Palace pace up front but he'd be good at corners which Palace are strong at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here