Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] must win today

Pickles

May 5, 2014

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A must win game occurs at the end of the season if you're two or three points behind 17th with one match to play, or five behind with two to play. This is not a must win game. Nonetheless, three points would be very welcome.

If we were to finish the season on 34 points (what we've got now) we'd have about a 50% chance that there would still be three teams below us. A win today would increase that chance to about 90%, so it would calm the nerves; nerves will start to jangle a bit if we lose (or mine will anyway), but losing today won't automatically see us relegated.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
A must win game occurs at the end of the season if you're two or three points behind 17th with one match to play, or five behind with two to play. This is not a must win game. Nonetheless, three points would be very welcome.

If we were to finish the season on 34 points (what we've got now) we'd have about a 50% chance that there would still be three teams below us. A win today would increase that chance to about 90%, so it would calm the nerves; nerves will start to jangle a bit if we lose (or mine will anyway), but losing today won't automatically see us relegated.

Thanks saved my writing it all this must win nonsense

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It is a must win match for those who'd prefer a stress free run-in to the end of the season. A loss will ferment those with the woe is me masochistic tendencies. And a draw wouldn't be the end of the world.

Pretty much this. But (not quite) everyone saying we will go down if we lost today. Well we might be outsiders in the remaining games i individually, but i bet if you placed an accy with Man U, Pool, Palace... all out remaining game to win you would get some long odds, granted not on each game. I might place that bet and see. I think even a defeat today the bookies wouldnt have us in the bottom 3. There's still points there outside of today if it goes tits up and will be a nail biter at Palace with the doom mongers out in full force

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
No way a must win match .... Would as good as, make us safe but...If we lose today ......... we will almost certainly still be six points clear of the relegation Zone. Stoke have Spurs and Southampton travel to Arsenal tomorrow.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

100% correct.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not bothered, we'll smash palace next week.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here