Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Travel-sick Seagulls....

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Looks to me that Brighton's solid home record - like Burnley last season - will be enough to secure Premier League survival despite obvious struggles away from the Amex.

We were pretty rubbish away last season but had little difficulty in reaching 40 points with 2 games to spare. With a more confident, positive approach, we have been transformed away from Turf Moor this season with more points on the road (24) than at home (22). Amazingly we have the joint 5th best away record in the PL with Chelsea!

Only Leicester outside the Big Six have bettered the Seagulls at The Amex, but your caution away from home has seen you score only 7 goals in 15 games - we were similar last season with most fans thinking Dyche would be happy with a 0-0 every away game. We lost most of them 1-0, 2-1.

Having survived your first season, can you see your away record improving to any great degree next season if Hughton adopts a more positive approach away from The Amex?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Looks to me that Brighton's solid home record - like Burnley last season - will be enough to secure Premier League survival despite obvious struggles away from the Amex.

We were pretty rubbish away last season but had little difficulty in reaching 40 points with 2 games to spare. With a more confident, positive approach, we have been transformed away from Turf Moor this season with more points on the road (24) than at home (22). Amazingly we have the joint 5th best away record in the PL with Chelsea!

Only Leicester outside the Big Six have bettered the Seagulls at The Amex, but your caution away from home has seen you score only 7 goals in 15 games - we were similar last season with most fans thinking Dyche would be happy with a 0-0 every away game. We lost most of them 1-0, 2-1.

Having survived your first season, can you see your away record improving to any great degree next season if Hughton adopts a more positive approach away from The Amex?

We are not close to being safe yet. come back to me when we have 37 points.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
no no no no and no.

We aren't safe until it's mathematically confirmed and I am certainly not going to be answering any questions from opposition fans - especially when we still have that opposition to play away.

Ta.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I bet you are great fun at parties! :shootself

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yes. We didn't get the striker we wanted in August, so knowing our fire power was limited, Hughton went for the defensive tactics as much as possible away from home.
We were able to partially put that right in January, and I'm sure, if we stay up, he will improve the squad again this summer so we can compete more on a level playing field, so to speak.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Defeat on Saturday will change the picture massively. We won't be winning at Turf Moor.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
What I was trying to convey was that last season - while our fans were happy to avoid relegation - most were still dismayed by Dyche's over-cautious and unwillingness to experiment away from home (even against the bottom half teams). We drew 1-1 at Hull and 0-0 at both Sunderland and Middlesbrough, barely creating a chance. We only scored at Hull because they took a 75th minute lead with a penalty.

This season, Dyche had to show more ambition away from home - it could have backfired horribly but his tactics have caught people by surprise. I know it was only against West Brom, but last week we had two out-and-out strikers and two widemen in Lennon and the Spurs loan guy.

I have always though Hughton is a good but very risk-averse manager (similar to Dyche) and get the impression some Seagulls fans wish the "away" tactics were a little more adventurous. In 2015/16, I remember a lot of complaints about settling for a one-goal win in home matches.

Anyway, I am confident you will be safe before our Turf Moor match. We're trying to hold off Leicester (and Everton) but Murray's missed penalty and subsequent Seagulls implosion was like a dagger through the heart for me.:)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Well you're a ray of bright, optimistic sunshine.

Burnley is just one of those grounds we don't do well at. Add to that they seem to bully us every time they have played us in recent history. Actually think we have more chance of a point or three at home to Man Utd than this game.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Burnley is just one of those grounds we don't do well at. Add to that they seem to bully us every time they have played us in recent history. Actually think we have more chance of a point or three at home to Man Utd than this game.

5 points out of a last possible 9 says otherwise. Saying that we have only lost there twice in the last 25 years...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

1 defeat in the last six visits, including two 1-3 wins, is that not well?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Has Ashley bought a new car yet?

178556A5-831E-4387-BB17-C362D57372E7.jpeg

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

That's complete rubbish though, isn't it?

We've not lost any of our previous SEVEN games against Burnley.
Of our last SEVEN visits to Turf Moor, Burnley have won ONE of them.

If there's one team that we are consistently decent against, it's Burnley.

Took me two minutes to check that. Why just make shit up?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Whilst I agree with Glen Murray that we are a long way from safe I really think that the addition of Locadia and the settling down in midfield along with the Double D in defence should be enough to beat Hudds.

Odd that it is this game that will probably decide both teams fate in the PL.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Whilst it pains me to say it, I think we've got more chance of getting points at Burnley than Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here