Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Garden Fence

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
How would I discover who is responsible for the dividing fence between me and the neighbour?

I expected to find it in one of the documents from purchase of the property but I cannot find it

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure if it is an urban myth but thought a householder was responsible for the boundary on the right hand side of property as you look at it from the road.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not sure if it is an urban myth but thought a householder was responsible for the boundary on the right hand side of property as you look at it from the road.

Yeah I always thought left hand side was yours if inside the property. So same thing !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yeah I always thought left hand side was yours if inside the property. So same thing !

I always thought the left was the homeowners, as you look out of the back door. Our neighbours on the right recently replaced theirs and didn't ask for a contribution. A year or so ago the neighbours on the left replaced one panel and asked us for 50% of the cost - win win

I would also look at who has the nice side of the fence and who has the rubbish looking side - if you have the good side its your fence

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Generally that is correct. When buying the property your solicitor should provide you with plans of the property showing your boundary responsibilities in red ( assuming they done their job properly that is ). You can also get this from Land Registry for a fee as already mentioned.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ha. I’ve always thought that if the uprights/cross beams are showing on your side it’s your fence; if you can’t see the uprights/crossbeams it’s theirs...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ha. I’ve always thought that if the uprights/cross beams are showing on your side it’s your fence; if you can’t see the uprights/crossbeams it’s theirs...

It is polite to give your neighbours the 'nice' facing side of a fence but not a rule.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Wouldn't life be simpler just to chat (over the fence if necessary) with said neighbour, agree on a course of action and sort it?

Same could then happen t'other side if required.

Back in my day...............

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Ye normally its that way round....i did both sides of my back garden fence so i had the arris rails on the outside

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Left hand fence and end of garden fence when looking out from your house is normally your responsibility

What are neighbors like ask them

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Left hand fence and end of garden fence when looking out from your house is normally your responsibility

What are neighbors like ask them

The Neighbour died in December and the house is owned by a housing agency. The previous occupier replaced a fence panel in 2015 so I assumed they had responsibility for it. The fence started to come down in January but the housing agency simply state that the fence is to be maintained by the residents but she obviously cannot do that.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.boundary-problems.co.uk/boundary-problems/fences.html

"left side" rule is a bit of a myth, actually. It might be the convention, but it is not always true and therefore shouldn't be relied on.

It's always best to check the deeds and/or plans for the property. For my place, the fence(s) we own are clearly marked using the "T" convention the link above refers to.

Well you learn something every day. I had never really thought about the issue much, but about ten years' ago my right-hand brick wall (and therefore my neighbour's left) collapsed. He said "Well it's on my left so it's my responsibility", and he rebuilt it without asking me for any contribution. I never checked the deeds (I'm not sure whether he did) as I just had this vague "left hand's mine, right hand's not" view. God knows where I got it from, I don't think anyone ever told me formally, but i just thought it was the law and of course that incident just supported it. Turns out it's not a universal property law at all. Well I never.

*Strokes chin thoughtfully*

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here