Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Repointing a wall

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Can anyone recommend a good brickie/builder NSCer and advise how much per square metre I should be budgeting for?

Cheers!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
£40 -£100 per square metre depending on type of mortar ( sand/cement or sand/lime) and type of finish required (standard “bucket handle “ or weatherstruck )
Also, will scaffolding be required?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Warn your neighbours before hand- lots of dust if old mortar needs removing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Get several quotes. I had the back wall of my (semi detached) house repointed a few years go, and the quotes ranged from £800 to £2800 (the latter from a relatively big building firm, who included in their quote a considerable amount for hiring scaffolding - as if they didn't have their own!) The £800 quoter did a smashing job (using his own scaffolding).

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Apologies for bumping this old thread especially on a match day. How come no one's had cause to ask about repointing on a football message board since 2018? Ridiculous...

Any NSC tips on who to approach for quotes on repointing a domestic garage?

Whilst I'm posting - the mortar below the damp proof course looks in much better condition that that above it. Is it normal / good practice to still get that done at the same time?

Cheers in advance...

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Apologies for bumping this old thread especially on a match day. How come no one's had cause to ask about repointing on a football message board since 2018? Ridiculous...

Whilst I'm posting - the mortar below the damp proof course looks in much better condition that that above it. Is it normal / good practice to still get that done at the same time?

Cheers in advance...

below damp will be a 3 to1 mix

above 5/6 to 1

wouldn't bother touching below damp

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Cheers in advance...

See poster 2 posts above your OP.

But don't expect to hear back for a few hours, probably a good few if we win :wink:

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I've just repointed 6 m2 of my back garden wall and repaired 4 metres of flint wall at ground level. It is quite easy if you have the time and patience.

I bought a mortar rake attachment for an angle grinder and mortar chisel. I already had a selection of trowels, hammers, several buckets and a cement mixing tray.

Took me two weeks working 3 easy hours a day. I used 6 x bags of Blue Circle ready mixed mortar for the brick wall ( £11 a bag) and half a bag of lime and 4 bags of sharp sand for the flint wall. I hand mixed the blue circle but hired in a cement mixer for the lime mortar. Total cost about £140 including gloves and eye mask.

There is lots of good advice on youtube and my work turned out pretty well. I've got more lime mortar (sand mix) repointing on the front of my house and a complete repoint (maybe rebuild?) of a front garden wall to do next.

I'm a DIY er but have built a two garden walls and laid two patios before.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
A linked question, where 80 year old damp course has kind of eroded away towards the brick facing, can that be left alone?

On chalk, great drainage, zero damp issues.

probably superficial, asyou suspect just the front edge eroded,certainly not worth disturbing if no issues and as you say,built on chalk far better than clay

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010

Cheers in advance...

Pm you
Cheers steve

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here