Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Where to go in Tenerife?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Need some sunshine soon! Flying from Exeter, our best bet seems to be Tenerife, but we've never been before.

We want to avoid the young tourists (I'm 60 and grumpy) - somewhere quiet, with traditional restaurants and places to stretch our legs on longish walks. I gather the north coast is better.

So - where to go, and where to avoid?

TIA.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The north is quieter and less trashed than the south, saved from development by a cooler climate with less sunshine.

Fade to Bruno

Apr 3, 2018
Surrey
Need some sunshine soon! Flying from Exeter, our best bet seems to be Tenerife, but we've never been before.

We want to avoid the young tourists (I'm 60 and grumpy) - somewhere quiet, with traditional restaurants and places to stretch our legs on longish walks. I gather the north coast is better.

TIA.

Try and watch a CD Tenerife game if you can, Alex Mula (on loan from Malaga) is an exciting player to watch. The north of the island is definitely less touristy, I needed a car to really get around though despite how small the island is.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
The north is quieter and less trashed than the south, saved from development by a cooler climate with less sunshine.

A wetter climate and an awful lot less sunshine. Which is why the holiday resorts in the South were developed.

I would advise going to the South but in a good quality hotel to avoid the Herbert's. Something like the H10 las Palmeras. Most youngsters will be operating on a different time zone to you so you are unlikely to be bothered by them. Lovely walks along the proms, ideal for you.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Mt Teide is worth a visit. The highest point in Spain - you can get a cable car a few hundred feet below the Summit and walk the rest - there's an overpowering smell of sulphur.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
A wetter climate and an awful lot less sunshine. Which is why the holiday resorts in the South were developed.

I would advise going to the South but in a good quality hotel to avoid the Herbert's. Something like the H10 las Palmeras. Most youngsters will be operating on a different time zone to you so you are unlikely to be bothered by them. Lovely walks along the proms, ideal for you.

Thanks, good point about the north coast climate. Hoping for something more adventurous than a walk along the prom, though!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
We stayed in Golf del Sur last year, lovely weather, not too many kids about, plenty of restaurants, not too far from the airport.

Going back to the same area in June.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
THe nicest part of Tenerife, ie the area that has the nice beaches, most exclusive hotels, designer shops and upscale restaurants is costa adeje. This is the area to stay if you want to avoid the tattoos, chips and sausage brigade that frequent the more Downmarket parts of Tenerife. A touch snobby maybe but true !

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
THe nicest part of Tenerife, ie the area that has the nice beaches, most exclusive hotels, designer shops and upscale restaurants is costa adeje. This is the area to stay if you want to avoid the chips and sausage brigade that frequent the more Chavy parts of Tenerife

At the Playa Del Duque end of Costa Adeje

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
To be honest, the more I look at Google satellite and street view, the less I want to go to Tenerife. :(

It's either purpose-built resorts or huge apartment blocks.

Is there anywhere on the island with any traditional character? ???

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

TIA.

Flying from Exeter is a great start.
Flying can be such a pain in the arse these days and crap flying times but flying from Exeter is like jumping on a bus.
OK, less flights and destinations but usually great flying times and very short queues, if you are going to the popular places then you are good to go.
Been to Tenerife several times usually in the winter and unless you like brash resorts, Americas is to be avoided. I liked Tenerife, loads to do and a bit of everything to suit all tastes.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Traditional character is North coast (Puerto de la Cruz) but less sunny.

I always stayed in Los Gigantes and like it a lot. Easy access for great walking in Masca and up the mountain (Teide).

Puerto de Santiago looks good, too.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Gran Melia in Alcala is lovely and has an adults only section. There are a few decent restaurants in Alcala but it’s a small place. Or go elsewhere in the Canaries, Playa Blanca in Lanzarote is lovely. We are currently in Fuerteventura at an H10 adults only hotel - hotel is very good, Corralejo is a bit ordinary.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
We stayed in Golf del Sur last year, lovely weather, not too many kids about, plenty of restaurants, not too far from the airport.

Going back to the same area in June.

This. We were in the same place a few weeks back - and absolutely loved it. 2 euro a pint!
The fish restaurants were astoundingly good in the old part closest to the airport. ....

Bars, restaurants - gawd - I wish I was there now myself. Don't let the
proximity to the airport put you off. It ain't Heathrow and you don't notice it.

albionite

May 20, 2009
To be honest, the more I look at Google satellite and street view, the less I want to go to Tenerife. :(

It's either purpose-built resorts or huge apartment blocks.

Is there anywhere on the island with any traditional character? ???

Go to lanzarote much nicer island

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Mt Teide is worth a visit. The highest point in Spain - you can get a cable car a few hundred feet below the Summit and walk the rest - there's an overpowering smell of sulphur.

This. Great views and the slight chance that the thing might blow when you're on it...

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Traditional character is North coast (Puerto de la Cruz) but less sunny.

I always stayed in Los Gigantes and like it a lot. Easy access for great walking in Masca and up the mountain (Teide).

Puerto de Santiago looks good, too.

Right, we've taken the plunge - Puerto de la Cruz it is!

We can explore from there; now to look for stuff to do. My first proper holiday for five years. :clap:

Thanks to everyone for the advice. :thumbsup:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Flying from Exeter is a great start.
Flying can be such a pain in the arse these days and crap flying times but flying from Exeter is like jumping on a bus.
OK, less flights and destinations but usually great flying times and very short queues, if you are going to the popular places then you are good to go.

It was so much easier when we lived in Lancing and flew from Gatwick. Newquay doesn't have many destinations, but Exeter sounds good. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here