Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a suspected burglar was stabbed to death.

The homeowner discovered two intruders in Further Green Road, Hither Green, south-east London, at about 00:45.

One suspect, armed with a screwdriver, forced the man into his kitchen where a struggle ensued and he was stabbed, Scotland Yard said.

The 38-year-old was taken to hospital by paramedics but was pronounced dead at 03:40.

The pensioner, who suffered bruising to his arms, has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43639183

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Will be interesting to know what happens here, I'd imagine he's been arrested as a formality.

Unless he's repeatedly stabbed the burglar you'd hope that it's all viewed as self defense.

One less scumbag on the streets :thumbsup:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Will be interesting to know what happens here, I'd imagine he's been arrested as a formality.

Unless he's repeatedly stabbed the burglar you'd hope that it's all viewed as self defense.

One less scumbag on the streets :thumbsup:

nope , saw on sky theyre charging him with murder

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This thread is going to get intense.

For what it's worth, unless he's gone absolutely mental and cut this guy's face off - you have to be able to defend yourself in your own home from people who have broken in. I would expect and want my family members to protect themselves in the same scenario and charging him with murder seems very harsh in the extreme. We don't know the facts of the case, but on the face of it - this isn't right.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This thread is going to get intense.

For what it's worth, unless he's gone absolutely mental and cut this guy's face off - you have to be able to defend yourself in your own home from people who have broken in. I would expect and want my family members to protect themselves in the same scenario and charging him with murder seems very harsh in the extreme. We don't know the facts of the case, but on the face of it - this isn't right.

That's about where I'm at.
The Tony Martin case being my main reason for holding back from a full-on 'well done fella', but it isn't far away.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
There has to be more to this. You must be able to protect yourself against an armed burglar in your home.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No no no you're supposed to help the bloke carry your tv to his van ffs

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hopefully, the law will prevail, and the CPS will drop the charge :shrug:
Being awoken in the middle of the night, adrenalin is going to kick in, together with instinct.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There has to be more to this. You must be able to protect yourself against an armed burglar in your home.

Holding a screwdriver isn't much of a weapon, so not really armed. If the pensioner kept a knife specifically to use against intruders, it can be construed as premeditated.
There are very few details in this case, so it's hard to discuss the rights and wrongs of it.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Holding a screwdriver isn't much of a weapon, so not really armed. If the pensioner kept a knife specifically to use against intruders, it can be construed as premeditated.
There are very few details in this case, so it's hard to discuss the rights and wrongs of it.

A screwdriver isnt much of a weapon so "not really armed" :facepalm: :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Good luck carrying a long pointy one into the Amex.

I didn't say it wasn't a weapon, just not much of one. My husband has, inadvertently, taken one into the Amex. He came straight from work and forgot he had some tools in his work bag.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A screwdriver could easily be used to critically wound, especially delivered from a younger man to a vulnerable person.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

If you are using an object as a weapon, you are armed. The distinction is not just for guns and knives which is why you hear 'armed with' a screwdriver, hammer, spanner, baseball bat, golf club, crowbar, brick, bottle etc etc. Had he been cornered in the living room he may have used a heavy ashtray, poker or vase to clump the bloke, and if he had killed him could still be facing murder charges. The only thing pre-meditated here so far is the bloke breaking into his house and waving a screwdriver about in a threatening way. I think the OB have gone for the nuclear option to deter vigilante copy-cats. We shall see.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Its not often I subscribe to the countries gone to the Dogs theory but. The stupidity of the establishment in this country never ceases to amaze me. Good luck with finding a jury that'll convict the guy, not that this will get that far.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here