Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Gender pay gap

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The biggest pay differential is in construction. Interesting. I wonder how many female bricklayers, groundworkers, carpenters, etc are out there ? I rarely meet any.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Massive can of worms this due to the difficulties in comparing not just jobs/roles, but the relative experience of individuals etc. I’ve got a real example at the moment of someone complaining that another person in the team is paid a bit more than them........the higher paid person has more experience, better qualifications and has been in the job longer and was recruited from an organisation that pays more than where the other person came from (so lots of factors) but apparently the pay difference is ‘because he’s male’.

Publication of the data will lead to even more issues. Of course, where I have other people in the team where the females are paid more than the males (for similar reasons) this’ll be ignored........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Interesting but who are the high paid women?
Must be some big earners to counter Paul Barber's well earned coffers.

Report finds. The average man at this company is paid 0.6% less than the average woman.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Bloody feminists at it again!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
These are the most stupid statistics ever. Airlines have a massive gender pay gap because pilots get paid a lot of money and there are not many women pilots. How can the airlines be blamed because not many women want to fly aeroplanes? The whole exercise is completely pointless.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Massive can of worms this due to the difficulties in comparing not just jobs/roles, but the relative experience of individuals etc. I’ve got a real example at the moment of someone complaining that another person in the team is paid a bit more than them........the higher paid person has more experience, better qualifications and has been in the job longer and was recruited from an organisation that pays more than where the other person came from (so lots of factors) but apparently the pay difference is ‘because he’s male’.

Publication of the data will lead to even more issues. Of course, where I have other people in the team where the females are paid more than the males (for similar reasons) this’ll be ignored........

Agreed. It’s a crude tool, but nevertheless, certain banks don’t really have an excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
These are the most stupid statistics ever. Airlines have a massive gender pay gap because pilots get paid a lot of money and there are not many women pilots. How can the airlines be blamed because not many women want to fly aeroplanes? The whole exercise is completely pointless.

Yes not comparing apples with apples

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Albion have reported, and are practically at parity so congratulations.

78% companies pay women less than men.

congratulations indeed, though a fine example of statistical manipulation. the mean figures are not quite the same as the median, though still beat the national average when excluding players. (clubs full report here)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Correct......the way the data has been compiled and reported is so flawed it’s ridiculous. It takes no account of the typically relative numbers of more senior male people in many organisations (which is a separate issue and also being subject to some pretty daft forced manipulation through positive discrimination in many firms now)

It’s worse than pointless though - it’s inflammatory, inaccurate and dangerous, and May’s comments (‘burning injustice’ ?) are equally stupid.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
More refined data is needed - comparison within grades for starters.......

In that case, it’s moved the debate forward further, which is not a bad thing. Barclays doesn’t employ more men than women and yet it has managed to pay its gents a staggering amount more.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing it doesn't work like that, given that the Albion have parity, with players earning £xx,xxx/week.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Exactly what me and my wife were saying this morning.

Using your analogy they are not even comparing women and men pilots they are comparing the airlines whole workforce so 10 male pilots v 10 lady cleaners is going to show quite a large pay gap

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In that case, it’s moved the debate forward further, which is not a bad thing. Barclays doesn’t employ more men than women and yet it has managed to pay its gents a staggering amount more.

Bloody didn’t when I was there [emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just a hunch, but I'm guessing it doesn't work like that, given that the Albion have parity, with players earning £xx,xxx/week.

The Albion report has two figures - one including first team players/coaching staff, and one excluding......gap is more than 59% where they’re included.......

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A complete waste of time , for all the reasons already stated.
If it is deemed necessary to have this kind of survey, for heaven's sake construct it in such a way so that it has some kind of logical basis so that useful statistics and conclusions can be gathered.
As it is, it is largely pointless.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To be fair I've only heard briefly about this on the radio this morning but am I slightly misunderstanding something....

As far as I understand it, the reports are simply stating how much the men earn compared to the women....but not from job to job.

The example I heard was Ryannair's "headline" that they have a huge disparity between men and women's pay........but the detail is actually that the majority of the pilots are male and the cabin crew are female...so of course there is a difference.

I'm not saying there aren't work places where there is clearly an issue. What I'm slightly confused by is how these results are accurate in any way when they aren't taking job positions into account?

Again, I briefly heard this on the radio so I may well have completely misunderstood what was said/the whole point of this. I'm happy to be informed/corrected.

[Addendum]
I've just read the above comments. Appears I'm not the only one who thought this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Same in my business where there are a lot of old male professors while statistically a proportion of younger female lecturers will have kids and not come back to the job, biasing the samples. However because university management is craven beyond belief some have given massive pay rises and promotions to some female staff, rises unjustified by 'performance', to 'deal' with the gender pay 'gap'.

I have taken this up with my union (UCU, the one leading the current industrial action) but they don't reply. At one point they conflated the current dispute (over pensions) with the gender pay 'gap' and the loss of income in real terms due to inflation with only tiny pay rises, in a classic union fail - undermining a just cause with some other utter load of old bollocks.

There are real and genuine gender pay gaps out there, but having one group of women paid less than another group of men doing a different job or the same job at a different scale is NOT a gender pay gap. Paying men and women different money for doing the same job is illegal and should be the real target of opprobrium.

:wozza:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here