Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Where's the best place to buy a second hand car?

I know nothing about cars (other than how to drive them) and I don't even know what I want.

Just something to use for running around locally, probably no further than Heathfield or Brighton or Haywards Heath, If I wanted a longer trip I'd probably rent one.

I'm 71 so it shouldn't be too low or small otherwise I wouldn't be able to get in and out. Something comfortable, no problem with high mileage especially if decent quality make like BMW or Audi. Not worried about economy as won't be doing long trips. Won't be used every day, just when I need it.

Budget probably up to £3,000 but ideally less.

Any suggestions on (a) what to buy and (b) where to buy it?

Thanks in anticipation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks Icy, I really like the look of that. Just a bit worried it looks too cheap for what it is? Plus I get a warning when I click on the link to the website.

I have one, hence the recommendation. Just posted that do you could see what you get. I doubt you’d want to to North London to buy it! They are very well put together and if you buy right fantastic value. Not great fuel consumption which puts a lot of people off. i do about 2k a year in it so matters not. It was Lexus first effort to build a better quality car than BMW and Mercs and the general opinion was that they succeded,

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Best to buy from someone within 20-30 miles from where you live, that way you won't feel so bothered about walking away / wasting your time if you don't like any cars you go to see. Never buy under pressure.

Good private cars are getting harder to find these days as diesels are less attractive and any non-diesels become prime targets for other buyers.

I've bought twice from dealers before (compared with 7 private purchases) and on both occasions I only bought when I was satisfied that the dealer was trustworthy, so trust your gut instinct there.

Skoda Citigo or Fabia and Toyota Auris or Yaris are all pretty reliable, functional and affordable.

If you are a really really really really slow driver, then the Honda Jazz may suit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello people of the car. :wave:

I have no money and my old tank has me in the traditional catch 22 situation, 'can't afford a new car because the current car costs too much to keep on the road'.

Anyhoo on the way to Lil Miss Stat's school we slowly pass a place on the road where someone always parks up 3 or 4 cars with for sale signs in the window.

One of the latest cars parked up is a Mini One (54) with 70k miles, younger and considerably less miles than Stat Tank.
The sign has it at only £1,250, which seems stupidly cheap.

Having no knowledge about cars, the thought of 'kicking the tyres' at a dealer fills me with dread, so just imagine how this set up has me running for the hills.

Any advice?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Check the MOT history and mileage and for advisories here :
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Any missing MOTs normally indicate something has meant the car being laid up for a while . Usually a prang.
Check "honest John" and "Parkers" for owners reviews of the particular car you're interested in and for common problems.
Go onto Autotrader, select sell your car. Put in the car's registration and mileage, press enter or whatever the option is and it'll give you a suggested price to "sell" you're car for. Over on the upper right hand side it'll come up and tell you if it's been written off. It's either the valuation page or the one before that shows this info. I can't remember which, sorry. It saves having to pay for an hpi report although an hpi report will tell you more e.g if it has finance still owing on it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hello people of the car. :wave:

I have no money and my old tank has me in the traditional catch 22 situation, 'can't afford a new car because the current car costs too much to keep on the road'.

Anyhoo on the way to Lil Miss Stat's school we slowly pass a place on the road where someone always parks up 3 or 4 cars with for sale signs in the window.

One of the latest cars parked up is a Mini One (54) with 70k miles, younger and considerably less miles than Stat Tank.
The sign has it at only £1,250, which seems stupidly cheap.

Having no knowledge about cars, the thought of 'kicking the tyres' at a dealer fills me with dread, so just imagine how this set up has me running for the hills.

Any advice?

Head North from the centre of Brighton - you’ll soon hit the hills.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I know nothing about cars (other than how to drive them) and I don't even know what I want.

Just something to use for running around locally, probably no further than Heathfield or Brighton or Haywards Heath, If I wanted a longer trip I'd probably rent one.

I'm 71 so it shouldn't be too low or small otherwise I wouldn't be able to get in and out. Something comfortable, no problem with high mileage especially if decent quality make like BMW or Audi. Not worried about economy as won't be doing long trips. Won't be used every day, just when I need it.

Budget probably up to £3,000 but ideally less.

Any suggestions on (a) what to buy and (b) where to buy it?

Thanks in anticipation.
[MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION] any unscrupulous Arthur Daleys in Bexhill, my local knowledge probably a tad rusty :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here