Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Accrington owner asked to explain to the FA the contract breaking crime of buying burgers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This must be a joke as I have seen our kitman visit the local chippie in times gone by to buy the players Fish and Chips to eat on the coach going home from away grounds.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I might say to [MENTION=3733]papajaff[/MENTION], this story is Big.........Mac

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The FA has not been "fit for purpose" for decades now. Stupid old farts in their blazers still living in a bygone age.

Petty and pathetic; and the issues that really matter they overlook, drag out for years in the hope they will be forgotten or bury their heads in the sand.

Can the players sue if a burger is not provided? No they can't. (Where the club might come unstuck is that the burgers are only provided if they win. However, I can't see HMRC being overly concerned at the "benefit in kind" value of the MickeyD "win bonus")

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I bought my mate a kebab the other night, don't expect he'll include it on his tax return.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Meanwhile, the EFL in their ivory towers, carry on in their astonishing persecutions.

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/april/efl-statement-accrington-stanley/

What a loads of bollocks. Someone has been paid to write that shit from FANS money (I think)
And what a waste of taxpayers money should it get escalated to HMRC. What a bunch of chodnuts. Is there like a petition or something? (Yes I know it looks like it has been dealt with just want to tell EFL there are stoops)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You know the original tweet that the article is based on was sent on April 1st right?

What, you mean this is real?!

I believe it is yes, hadn't you seen it? Googled Accrington Stanley April Fools after you posted, and it came up that their last April Fools joke was changing the name to Lancashire Stanley and the fans backed it!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
What a loads of bollocks. Someone has been paid to write that shit from FANS money (I think)
And what a waste of taxpayers money should it get escalated to HMRC. What a bunch of chodnuts. Is there like a petition or something? (Yes I know it looks like it has been dealt with just want to tell EFL there are stoops)

Agreed. I’d be happy to sign a petition or support any other campaign to highlight the absurdity of this. Has Gordon Taylor at the PFA commented yet or are the Accrington players too lowly to deserve the support of their millionaire union chairman?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
do people want the EFL to apply their rules or not? overlook a round of burgers, then what happens when its a round of Lambos or other inducement. if you're OK the rules are interpreted on a case by case basis, cant complain when they aren't applied. :shrug:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The FA has not been "fit for purpose" for decades now. Stupid old farts in their blazers still living in a bygone age.

Petty and pathetic; and the issues that really matter they overlook, drag out for years in the hope they will be forgotten or bury their heads in the sand.

Can the players sue if a burger is not provided? No they can't. (Where the club might come unstuck is that the burgers are only provided if they win. However, I can't see HMRC being overly concerned at the "benefit in kind" value of the MickeyD "win bonus")

HMRC are rather like the FA. Sticklers for rules and regulations - regardless of whether they are logical. If someone stabbed someone else - and it wasn't in the rules that you couldn't - they'd turn a blind eye.

I reckon HMRC would give little Accrington a full audit, fines and the works - meanwhile big clubs can not pay a penny in tax and walk away smelling of roses. Because they have a scary legal department. Private sector (rich) vs public sector (poor) - no contest.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
do people want the EFL to apply their rules or not? overlook a round of burgers, then what happens when its a round of Lambos or other inducement. if you're OK the rules are interpreted on a case by case basis, cant complain when they aren't applied. :shrug:
Yes there needs to be rules and they need to be enforced - but the approach needs to be proportionate and sensible. My gripe here is where are the EFL when you really need them i.e. on the big issues? In the EFL rogues gallery of chairmen, where does the Accrington chair sit - alongside Oyston or Archer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here