Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Beatles failed Decca audition from January 1962

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I’m bored. So many things to do outside but the rain is relentless. So browsing YouTube I found this which may be of interest to those who like the Beatles (and yes I know a few of you thought they were shit, so don’t bother boring yourselves by clicking the link :smile:)

23 minutes of the world’s biggest band before they exploded onto the scene.

Is the last song, Crying Waiting Hoping sung by George ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTMlZxHk938

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Must admit they were not my cup of tea when growing up, but I was definitely missing a lot. Been enjoying catching up on their back catalogue in the last few years. The recent remaster of Sgt Pepper by George Martin's son Giles is a master piece. Thanks for posting. Just ordered copies of Rubber Soul and Revolver in mono and looking forward to these.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Must admit they were not my cup of tea when growing up, but I was definitely missing a lot. Been enjoying catching up on their back catalogue in the last few years. The recent remaster of Sgt Pepper by George Martin's son Giles is a master piece. Thanks for posting. Just ordered copies of Rubber Soul and Revolver in mono and looking forward to these.

Save the White Album until last, fantastic stuff :thumbsup:

Although Ob-la-di and Honey Pie are two very weak tracks

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Great stuff, loved them from the start, always got their singles at Christmas etc. So much terrific music

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Pete Best was still the drummer. Ringo joined them in Aug 62, and Love Me Do was then released in Nov 62, getting to 17 in the charts.

Anorak alert, it was released on the red Parlophone label, which changed to black after that. I have it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Pete Best was still the drummer. Ringo joined them in Aug 62, and Love Me Do was then released in Nov 62, getting to 17 in the charts.

Anorak alert, it was released on the red Parlophone label, which changed to black after that. I have it.

All true but Andrew White was the drummer on Love Me Do, he replaced Ringo on the recording for some reason.

Wasn’t it Lennon who allegedly said that Ringo wasn’t the best drummer in the world, in fact he wasn’t even the best drummer in The Beatles, not sure that is a fact though.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All true but Andrew White was the drummer on Love Me Do, he replaced Ringo on the recording for some reason.

Wasn’t it Lennon who allegedly said that Ringo wasn’t the best drummer in the world, in fact he wasn’t even the best drummer in The Beatles, not sure that is a fact though.

One of them supposedly said it. I thought it was Paul as he played the drums occasionally.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I was always under the impression that the Red Label release was Ringo on drums and the Black Label was Andy White

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was always under the impression that the Red Label release was Ringo on drums and the Black Label was Andy White

I bow to your, clearly, superior knowledge on this. It was only when it was mentioned by [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] that I found out it was released on different coloured labels!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
yes I know a few of you thought they were shit, so don’t bother boring yourselves by clicking the link :smile:)

There’s no thought about it, and it’s now too late I clicked on the link....

George absolutely murdered that last cover of a great Buddy Holly song, in all seriousness the bass line in the first song was actually fairly good.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There’s no thought about it, and it’s now too late I clicked on the link....

George absolutely murdered that last cover of a great Buddy Holly song, in all seriousness the bass line in the first song was actually fairly good.

Much as I find McCartney to be an annoying git, who mostly writes very twee songs on his own, he is a very very good bass player and he used to have a very good voice and range too.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

It was said (by Lennon), but was very much in jest.
McCartney was also a superb drummer though. In fact he could play ‘most anything

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
And yes GH sang Crying Waiting etc

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
No, he didn't.

See post #11.

Fair do’s. I’ve just done my research and stand corrected.
Rather annoyed with myself as my Beatles knowledge is normally spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here