Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Only two English players start

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Maybe I can't count but I think there were only two English players in our starting line up yesterday plus Duffy as an honorary Brit. I fully understand why, and I applaud both our foreign players and Club recruitment, but is this good for English football? We have to do it to survive in this division and enforcing a limit on import numbers would inevitably raise the price of HGPs, so what is the solution?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When our top League was 90 per cent English our national team was still shit bar the odd blip.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe I can't count but I think there were only two English players in our starting line up yesterday plus Duffy as an honorary Brit. I fully understand why, and I applaud both our foreign players and Club recruitment, but is this good for English football? We have to do it to survive in this division and enforcing a limit on import numbers would inevitably raise the price of HGPs, so what is the solution?

If you want lower quality football impose a limit. The solution is for English players to get better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you'll find there was only one Englishman and a Northerner.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Didnt Scotland try this and it made their national team worse that it already was.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free

I don't necessarily see it as a problem. It is great to see decent players from any nation playing in the blue and white.

If we are to see more British players in our team and in the Premier League generally, then the youth players need to work a lot harder and coaches need to focus on technique more than physical power. Then we will have more quality players to choose from.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I think back to the days of Dean Wilkins at Withdean when half our starting team came from the DS squad and were local(ish). We used to laugh at teams like Chelsea and Arsenal which were full of foreigners. How times change!

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
How can he be British given he wasn't born in Britain :facepalm:

He was born in Northern Ireland which is in Britain he switched to play for the Republic so cant talk as to how he feels for his nationality but he qualifys for a British passport and an Irish one.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Great shame, and very very bad for English football. The whole system is flawed.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He was born in Northern Ireland which is in Britain he switched to play for the Republic so cant talk as to how he feels for his nationality but he qualifys for a British passport and an Irish one.

He played for NI U21s but switched to Ireland for the senior squad. He was born in (London)Derry so considers himself Irish, but geographically, he is British.

We had two youth academy English players on the pitch at one time, & if Stephens was fit, he would be a third English player.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
He played for NI U21s but switched to Ireland for the senior squad. He was born in (London)Derry so considers himself Irish, but geographically, he is British.

Yes I know as I said he switched to Ireland. You are just repeating what I said about his choice of nationality as he qualifys for both.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here