Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How much do you spend on clothes? (Not inc. Shoes)

How much do you spend on clothes per year? (Not inc. Footwear)

• £0 - £100

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • £100-200

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • £200-300

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • £300-500

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • £500+

Votes: 18 23.7%

• Total voters

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
A friend of mine was surprised when I said that in the last 5 years I had certainly spent less than £500 on clothes. Is that strange? How much do you spend per year?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I wear a company uniform, so tend to keep my decent clothes in decent nick, probably about £100 ish a year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A friend of mine was surprised when I said that in the last 5 years I had certainly spent less than £500 on clothes. Is that strange? How much do you spend per year?

I’m not sure if your expenditure is strange but I have certainly spent more than 500 in 5 years. My annual cost starts to increase rapidly when it comes to coats, jackets, shirts and accessories.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I put 300-500. I buy less than I did in my 30s and 40s but go for higher quality so individual suits and coats can count for a large part of this. When you are in your late 50s you have enough natural creases and imperfections to want your clothes to have them as well and any drop in standards is a slippery slope that leads quickly to frayed cardigans, worn shiny corduroy trousers and Old Git chic.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My per year is quite low. I don't go for the cheapest clothes, and I think because of this, they last a bit longer. I also generally only buy clothes when I need to replace them - ones that no longer fit, ones that have worn thin, etc so am not regularly spending on them.

About 18 months ago I bought a bunch of shirts and several pairs of trousers, a couple of pairs of jeans, and that was less than £300. I recently did the same, not because I needed to, but I had a bit of spare cash and saw some more shirts I liked (a rare event - I often struggle when I need new shirts, so it seemed a good idea since it's been so long since my last purchase). I now have a good number of shirts and trousers (my main wear through the year as they are what I wear at work), and several pairs of jeans (my main outside, not at work clothes). Cycling through the wardrobe will keep them in good enough shape to not need replacing for a good while.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My Mrs works in a fashion retailers so I get all my clobber for free.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Depends on what needs replacing, unless it involves a suit or coat it will be between £100 and £200

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I put 300-500. I buy less than I did in my 30s and 40s but go for higher quality so individual suits and coats can count for a large part of this. When you are in your late 50s you have enough natural creases and imperfections to want your clothes to have them as well and any drop in standards is a slippery slope that leads quickly to frayed cardigans, worn shiny corduroy trousers and Old Git chic.

Good points. I will be 50 this year and being middle aged and bald I have to excercise regularly and spend a tidy sum on my clothes as any drop in my body and sartorial standards puts me on the road to looking like those badly dressed and chubby hooligans we saw terrorising Amsterdam last week. Phil Mitchel is not a good look; Euro Pep is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
About once every 5 years I buy new trousers , shirts and jackets for smart. Maybe 500 quid. Other than that I'm combats and lumberjack shirts, hoody etc. That comes to maybe 200 a year tops.
New batch of boxers once a year but I buy Stance socks at about 18 quid a pair so that put some my average up. It's my one ridiculous indulgence.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
On a related topic, im late 50s, I have never bought a pair of underpant.
Before i was married, my Mum bought them for me, after marriage, Mrs LLF buys them for Birthdays, Christmas, etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a related topic, im late 50s, I have never bought a pair of underpant.
Before i was married, my Mum bought them for me, after marriage, Mrs LLF buys them for Birthdays, Christmas, etc.

Does she by you themed comedy pants?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Excluding suits, maybe £100 pa. I buy expensive suits every couple of years though.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Go on, spill the beans. What do you get for free?

Jeans, t-shirts, jumpers. Whatever she sees that she thinks I'll look good in.
I don't care much about what I look like to other people so I've never been one for clothes shopping, but it's nice that she cares so much that she gets all that stuff for me.
Strictly speaking she still forks out the cost, she gets about half off, but I haven't paid for clothes since we've been together

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jeans, t-shirts, jumpers. Whatever she sees that she thinks I'll look good in.
I don't care much about what I look like to other people so I've never been one for clothes shopping, but it's nice that she cares so much that she gets all that stuff for me.
Strictly speaking she still forks out the cost, she gets about half off, but I haven't paid for clothes since we've been together

:thumbsup:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Less than 200, most of it in fivers and tenners in charity shops or along the racks in North Laines. Glad shoes were not included, always get a new pair of Loake boot brogues every ten years, whether I need them or not.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Good points. I will be 50 this year and being middle aged and bald I have to excercise regularly and spend a tidy sum on my clothes as any drop in my body and sartorial standards puts me on the road to looking like those badly dressed and chubby hooligans we saw terrorising Amsterdam last week. Phil Mitchel is not a good look; Euro Pep is.

It's far worse for a woman to be bald.How are you coping with that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here