Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] PETITION: 'Pat Mears local trader , let him stay!!!'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Calling out to the Great And The Good of NSC who use the London Road Open Market - or indeed anyone who just likes signing petitions for worthy causes...

'Pat Mears has been a trader of the open market since he was 15 years old . Now at 76 years old the market council are taking his liscense away and taking his stall off him . Many of you know pat has always been there . He has been asked to leave for violating parking . He has been parking in the loading bay and now has been given his eviction notice . I think this is outrageous !! He has recently undergone 2 knee operations which has caused him pain and diferculty walking for years . He also has been mugged when parking across the street at the level . I can see why pat chose to park in the loading bay at the market . This is a real upset to see Mears going from the open market as they have been there for so long .if we all stand together and sign this petition and try and get Pat Mears back trading at the open market again. LET PAT STAY !!!'

Was chatting to Pat at his stall this morning. He's really gladdened by the level of local support (1200 petition signatures as of this morning) and with a twinkle in his eye reckons there's a bit of a thing planned for 4pm this afternoon. TV cameras may be coming down for it. He told me he only wanted to do it for three more years anyway until his daughter finishes university, then he'll put his feet up. Top man!

Petition is here:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/pat-mears-local-trader-let-him-stay

Cheers

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Old guy parks in loading bay all day every day.
He gets a warning not to park in loading bay.
He gets second warning not to park in loading bay.
He gets third warning not to park in loading bay.
He gets kicked out.
What is the problem?
If he is disabled then get a blue badge. If he is a trader get a traders badge. I pay over £1000 for a season ticket to park in central Brighton, London Road ST costs £1200. If I park in my loading bay I will get a ticket. Sorry, no sympathy here.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
E79D257C-7BBD-46CC-AA68-0DECA7743354.gif

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Old guy parks in loading bay all day every day.
He gets a warning not to park in loading bay.
He gets second warning not to park in loading bay.
He gets third warning not to park in loading bay.
He gets kicked out.
What is the problem?
If he is disabled then get a blue badge. If he is a trader get a traders badge. I pay over £1000 for a season ticket to park in central Brighton, London Road ST costs £1200. If I park in my loading bay I will get a ticket. Sorry, no sympathy here.

So all of life in central Brighton is now reduced to parking revenues? And a hard grafting trader of fifty years service to the community has to be deprived of his livelihood over it? Sorry, will have to agree to disagree on this one. For sure the old bugger shouldn't have been continually parking in the loading bay, and if there were proper disabled parking facilities built into the market plan then he doubtless wouldn't have done. Plenty of money to build a PLETHORA of shiny new flats round the back of the market though.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So all of life in central Brighton is now reduced to parking revenues? And a hard grafting trader of fifty years service to the community has to be deprived of his livelihood over it? Sorry, will have to agree to disagree on this one. For sure the old bugger shouldn't have been continually parking in the loading bay, and if there were proper disabled parking facilities built into the market plan then he doubtless wouldn't have done. Plenty of money to build a PLETHORA of shiny new flats round the back of the market though.

I've been trading in Brighton for over 40 years. Can I have a free parking bay? I do feel sorry that it has gone this far, but he was warned three times. I have a loading bay outside my shop but traffic wardens give out tickets.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rules are rules and the rules for using loading bays etc must be observed. If we all disregarded them parking would be even worse than it is. Obviously operating a market stall means he wouldnt just be there for a few minutes but most of the day so no sympathy from me. Can I have a permit to park there while I go into the market to buy my bacon or vegetables from the better stall down by the London Rd entrance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks. It's a shame they can't help him.

I agree.

Yes, he was warned three times. But it seems a draconian final step, for a life long trader. The new market was badly planned. Not just Mears, but others have said as well as potential traders who opted not to take a stall, that the logistics of vehicle access for themselves and stock was completely neglected. In maximising square footage for the new apartments block.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, but not immediate family.

Not that distant though, Mary Mears was often chatting to him on Saturday mornings, although I haven't seen her there for a couple of years now.

I signed the petition as I've been shopping at his stall for donkeys', but according to another trader, there's more to the decision than bad parking .... but wouldn't elaborate

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Perhaps one of the parking inspectors went to the 'Lapland' spectacular a few years ago.?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Doesn't appear to be much love for the guy in the Argus

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No sympathy from me. Parks where he causes obstruction, ignores warnings, whinges to Argus.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The property bubble in Brighton is down, in no small way, to a lack of supply and anyone with half a brain has been pushing the need to build more. Constrained by the sea on one side and the Downs on the other the only real way to go is to build upwards on spare land. Then, when people do, they are suddenly evil property developers taking away a man’s honest living.

It’s no wonder it took so long to build The Amex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
, but according to another trader, there's more to the decision than bad parking .... but wouldn't elaborate

I was told exactly the same on Saturday and that most stall holders broke the rules in some way or another without reprisals. It doesnt really affect me as I do not think the stuff he sells is of very good quality as it has to be used that day or it will be off. That however is a personal opinion and others may have different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here