Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] C-Series Mercedes Owners

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hello All

Changing cars shortly and Mrs Jakarta wants me to choose a Mercedes C Class as she drives a Mercedes SLK and doesn't like driving my BMW 3 series (my last 3 - yes perhaps I lack imagination, two 320D's and then latterly a 330D, all Touring).

It has got be an Estate Car due to the nature of my work (lugging Flight Cases full of equipment around the country).

Looks like my Diesel days are over and I'm going to cut down on my travelling in any case due to my Wife's health issues (now in remission from her Cancer) so just the South East and hopefully no more than 12K miles per Year. I know I could go to a Dealer but rather than having a Salesman telling me how wonderful it is I would rather hear from anyone that has/had a C200/220, especially a petrol Estate before I make a commitment.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hello All

Changing cars shortly and Mrs Jakarta wants me to choose a Mercedes C Class as she drives a Mercedes SLK and doesn't like driving my BMW 3 series (my last 3 - yes perhaps I lack imagination, two 320D's and then latterly a 330D, all Touring).

It has got be an Estate Car due to the nature of my work (lugging Flight Cases full of equipment around the country).

Looks like my Diesel days are over and I'm going to cut down on my travelling in any case due to my Wife's health issues (now in remission from her Cancer) so just the South East and hopefully no more than 12K miles per Year. I know I could go to a Dealer but rather than having a Salesman telling me how wonderful it is I would rather hear from anyone that has/had a C200/220, especially a petrol Estate before I make a commitment.

Thanks in advance!

The most important bit of information is your wife's good news.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I have a W205 C300 coupe with the 9 speed semi auto. It's okay, quiet and comfortable and I can get 40mpg on a motorway in eco mode at 80mph. I test drove the C200 and thought I needed more power, couldn't test drive a C300 as there weren't any in the UK when I ordered mine. After 4000 miles I feel that it isn't quick enough. But if you're not bothered with power I'm sure the C200/220 will be fine.

I got the AMG line with Premium Plus pack, it's a lovely place to sit and fully loaded with technology and safety.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This thread has the potential to turn into a willy waving competition.... :lolol:

Attachments

• article-2260386-16DCA922000005DC-657_634x376.jpg
    article-2260386-16DCA922000005DC-657_634x376.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 414

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
To the previous posters - Ho, Ho Ho. Mercedes- Benz cars are ten a penny on UK roads and I'm not looking at an AMG C63, just a bog stock C200/220.

Nice to see Class Warfare alive & well on NSC though.

Thanks to #Psychobilly Freakout for your thoughts, hopefully we are out the other side of an absolutely shit 18 plus months, I never want to see a Cancer Ward ever again.

Wife was considering a C class nearly 3 years ago. Mercedes actually let us have one for 3 days whilst we made up our mind.

Other cars in contention were the IS300h Lexus and the Beamer 3 series.

The Lexus won hands down. The price of all 3 appear similar but if you specced up the Merc or the BMW to what the Lexus had as standard you would be talking 25% more.

3 years on I can confirm the Lexus has been a great car. We would have considered the XE Jag last time but it was not quite going to be released in time for us.

I honestly don’t know how Merc (and BMW) can get away with charging £30k for a motor and have the seats finished in plastic! Yes they will give it a fancy name, but if you want real leather, it will cost ya. The Lexus was geuine leather throughout.

Also, the C class seams about as common on the road as a Fiesta these days.

Just my tuppence worth......

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Wife was considering a C class nearly 3 years ago. Mercedes actually let us have one for 3 days whilst we made up our mind.

Other cars in contention were the IS300h Lexus and the Beamer 3 series.

The Lexus won hands down. The price of all 3 appear similar but if you specced up the Merc or the BMW to what the Lexus had as standard you would be talking 25% more.

3 years on I can confirm the Lexus has been a great car. We would have considered the XE Jag last time but it was not quite going to be released in time for us

I honestly don’t know how Merc (and BMW) can get away with charging £30k for a motor and have the seats finished in plastic! Yes they will give it a fancy name, but if you want real leather, it will cost ya. The Lexus was geuine leather throughout.

Also, the C class seams about as common on the road as a Fiesta these days.

Just my tuppence worth......

Thanks for this, as I mentioned earlier my wife has a Mercedes and seeing as the controls etc. will be similar on a C Class she would be OK to drive it (she only drove my BMW twice in the 4 years I had it and didn't enjoy it).

Just a final pop at the Class Warriors, Mrs Jakarta worked non-stop as a Teacher, Head of Department, Deputy Head and finally a Head Teacher for nearly 38 years and her SLK was her retirement present to herself. I will be leasing mine for work - I'm absolutely sure we are NOT considerably Richer than many of the posters on NSC!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Thanks for this, as I mentioned earlier my wife has a Mercedes and seeing as the controls etc. will be similar on a C Class she would be OK to drive it (she only drove my BMW twice in the 4 years I had it and didn't enjoy it).

Just a final pop at the Class Warriors, Mrs Jakarta worked non-stop as a Teacher, Head of Department, Deputy Head and finally a Head Teacher for nearly 38 years and her SLK was her retirement present to herself. I will be leasing mine for work - I'm absolutely sure we are NOT considerably Richer than many of the posters on NSC!

No need to justify it? What kind of toaster do you have

Best wishes to your lady on her recovery,

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I think the comments were very much tongue in cheek (at least mine was) in anticipation of a few posters who might take objection to the subject.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
May I recommend that you buy a car with electric windows? I've got them on my car and they are a real labour saver. Not showing off, just saying.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
May I recommend that you buy a car with electric windows? I've got them on my car and they are a real labour saver. Not showing off, just saying.

Oh yes ..i haven them on my van..nothing else mind...still with a cassette player...but those electric windows...beats air conditioning which i also don't have

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Going a bit off topic here, but I'm very pleased with my Kajar. It has a lot wrong wth it (lack of lights on the cabin buttons being the biggest) but it is perfect for me right now. I last had a golf GTi which was much too fast, and its legacy is 9 points on my licence still (yes I know, me driving like a tit, albeit 6 points were picked up in Northampton which it seems now was part of a money making exercise by a skint local authority - a mate who lives in London has 6 points, all accrued from two trips to Northampton to watch his lad play cricket). But I digress. My point is this - it is great to have a nice car, and good luck to the OP - I hope you get something that suits you and that people on here can offer some good advice (whch is what they seem to be doing). :thumbsup:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Great car. Had no problems whatsoever with mine. Monthly lease cost is not significantly different to many other makes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here