Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Using the lift to get to west upper

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For reasons I won't bore you with, I cannot use the stairs this weekend owing to a temporary incapacitation. I phoned the club to ask if I could use the lift. I was told that the lift is not approved for use, especially by the temporarily incapacitated, because it is not a designated fire escape, and if there were a fire during the game, my temporary incapacitation would mean that I would have to struggle down the stairs, thereby endangering the safety of others. That was relayed to me by the nice lady in the office, after she consulted the stadium manager/officer (I forget his/her exact title). So I am instead going to be watching the Leicester match from the South Stand (I and my companions were offered one off replacements for our season tickets at no cost, and will have to collect them from the stadium on the day). This all strikes me as a bit division three (south). Have I been sold a small box of bollocks, or is this all rational, defensible, and fair dinkum (as our sporting cousins from down under, if there are any left, would say)?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
For reasons I won't bore you with, I cannot use the stairs this weekend owing to a temporary incapacitation. I phoned the club to ask if I could use the lift. I was told that the lift is not approved for use, especially by the temporarily incapacitated, because it is not a designated fire escape, and if there were a fire during the game, my temporary incapacitation would mean that I would have to struggle down the stairs, thereby endangering the safety of others. That was relayed to me by the nice lady in the office, after she consulted the stadium manager/officer (I forget his/her exact title). So I am instead going to be watching the Leicester match from the South Stand (I and my companions were offered one off replacements for our season tickets at no cost, and will have to collect them from the stadium on the day). This all strikes me as a bit division three (south). Have I been sold a small box of bollocks, or is this all rational, defensible, and fair dinkum (as our sporting cousins from down under, if there are any left, would say)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSWBX72rDe4

??

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not sure what the problem is as her explanation makes perfect sense in light of Bradford, Hillsborough etc. If you need the lift up, you need the lift down which you can't use for obvious reasons in an emergency and you slowly making your way down stairs in an emergency would slow evacuation of the stadium. All seems common sense to me.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Elf and safety, HWT. Or Political correctness gone mad, or “ I blame Brexit or blame Jeremy Corbyn.

Choose one of the above.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure what the problem is as her explanation makes perfect sense in light of Bradford, Hillsborough etc. If you need the lift up, you need the lift down which you can't use for obvious reasons in an emergency and you slowly making your way down stairs in an emergency would slow evacuation of the stadium. All seems common sense to me.

Exactly that.

Makes perfect sense, and good on them for re-locating them at no cost. They didn't have to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Fair enough.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I wonder how the lifts in the WSU are different to those in the ESU which presumably are classified as a fire escape. I assume it is down to staffing said lifts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly that.

Makes perfect sense, and good on them for re-locating them at no cost. They didn't have to.

Yes, we appreciated it.

I am pretty sure I have seen that lift used by the incapacitated in the past, though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It not only makes perfect sense, but it also casts 'elf and safety in a good light. Never mind, we'll be able to rid ourselves of such entrepreneur-stultifying red tape in just a year's time.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I wonder how the lifts in the WSU are different to those in the ESU which presumably are classified as a fire escape. I assume it is down to staffing said lifts.
Don't know if it is a height thing as I used the lift to WSM after an op so the same could apply but could also be the number of exits and number of people equation as well. Don't know if it is turning a blind eye to the rules because it is 1901 as many older people do use them regularly but my guess is that it is the sheer number of people in WSU and limited exits down a longer way that is a factor. Shouldn't be a staffing issue as you can't use lifts in an emergency, full stop.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

ESU has clearly been designed with wheelchair users in mind. I've not seen anything to suggest that is the case for WSU. I imagine that's where the difference comes from.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
ESU has clearly been designed with wheelchair users in mind. I've not seen anything to suggest that is the case for WSU. I imagine that's where the difference comes from.
Actually, that is a good point. Right from the start, this rule was in place for WSU as there were complaints at the time. Maybe ESU has wide exits, more medivac chairs or something like that.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I question someone who was on crutches in the WSU she said she was staff so she used the lift.
I was made to change my seat when I was on crutches.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
There is a lift in my building for use by the disabled in an evacuation.

I'm amazed at that. What happens if the lift is out of order or damaged in the fire or worse still is damaged during a fire evac with them stuck inside it.? Using lifts as part of a fire evac procedure is a big no no.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I question someone who was on crutches in the WSU she said she was staff so she used the lift.
I was made to change my seat when I was on crutches.

Crikey.....oh well - no point arguing with the vendor.....I guess if I want perks like the use of a lift I will need to pay more and join 1901......cheers.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I thought we’ve had fire lifts for some time now? Presumably the one(S) in the ESU are those and the WSU just a usual lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So you explained the situation, they explained they can't do it, but for no extra money have given you and your companions seats elsewhere for the match? And you are moaning because?

I can think of plenty of places that might have told you to do one actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here