Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would make you turn your back on the Albion?

What would make you turn your back on the Albion?

• Relegation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Back to back relegation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Players, management, directors becoming embroiled in a hideous cheating scandal

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Takeover by Chinese/Russian/Saudi/etc consortium

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Giant pitchside flag wavers/CLACKERS!!

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Smug, condescending fans/players/managers, e.g. “we shouldn’t be losing to teams like......”

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 35 39.8%

• Total voters

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Just a hypothetical question, of course, no need for anyone to get apoplectic with rage and indignation at the very suggestion. But is there a point at which you would be tempted to say “enough is enough”? Also, I note there is not a single poll in the first page, so to make amends .... poll to follow.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The only scenario I could envisage that would kill my connection to the club would only be if they broke my personal moral code... so if we dropped a player solely because he was gay or black or signed a convicted sex-offender/rapist then I think I would have to "take a break" until there were changes at the top.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't actually think of anything. If the club was bought by a consortium comprised of Gareth Southgate and the Dildo Brothers I would simply engage with the protests. So its a no from me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The only scenario I could envisage that would kill my connection to the club would only be if they broke my personal moral code... so if we dropped a player solely because he was gay or black or signed a convicted sex-offender/rapist then I think I would have to "take a break" until there were changes at the top.

Yep, something like that.

For that to happen the club would need to be sold to an unscrupulous owner, who don't give a shit about anything but the money.

So, perhaps if somehow the club ended up in the hands of some hideous person or organisation, and they started to rip the heart out of the club, that might at least make me take a break also.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Wouldn’t be the club, more likely to be professional football in general. VAR with sponsored breaks and tense music might be enough for me to stick to watching county league instead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Very good point. I suspect that as in my example, these scenarious are so unlikely that the circumstances would never arise. I personally would not automatically take umbrage if we signed a previously convicted player (indeed Matt Sparrow, I think it was, served time, albeit not for offences agains Dame Anna Neagle, as Peter Cooke might put it) and would reserve my protests according to the severity of the offence and/or the evidence of rehabilitation (I don't think I need to illustrate this point with examples). These days, in the PL, it is more likely that a player might be sacked unfairly in order to preclude a 'brand' becoming toxic than be signed despite a terrible off-field reputation. Especially a club that prides itself on selecting players who will compliment the group.

ps whoever said 'get relegated' needs to give their head a vigorous and possibly life-threatening wobble :facepalm:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yep, something like that.

For that to happen the club would need to be sold to an unscrupulous owner, who don't give a shit about anything but the money.

So, perhaps if somehow the club ended up in the hands of some hideous person or organisation, and they started to rip the heart out of the club, that might at least make me take a break also.

An asset-stripping CJTC [like we have had in the past] wouldn't actually drive me away. It would have to be a culture within the club that I found abhorrent. So a rich, Asia-based business man changing our name, logo and club colours or selling players and facilities, would possibly invoke a boycott and definitely protests from me, but I wouldn't be saying "enough is enough", I'd be fighting to get the club back... it would be a "club under siege" but still my club. A racist, homophobic, misogynistic Russian Oligarch coming in and installing a whole new culture of thinly disguised hatred would drive me away. Then's when I wouldn't be able to meet people and admit to being a fan of such a toxic club.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018

So basically you would never turn your back on the Albion as those 3 things would never happen or at least for sure
the first 2.

For me if they changed their name to Manchester Utd that would be it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It depends what you mean by turning your back on them. I would boycott the games, if we were involved in hideous cheating etc, and if we got a smug condescending manager like Pardew, but once that had been dealt with, I would be back.
I would still look out for results etc, but the club wouldn't get a penny from me.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I wanna see TROPHIES in the cabinet next summer. No trophies I’m OFF. Im only in it for the GLORY. And I’ve heard season tickets are going CHEAP at the Emirates. Hughton OUT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAC

May 21, 2014
Being priced out of attendance.

I don't care which division but it's all about attending matches. Take that away and I'd turn away from football or at least league football as I have no interest in just following on the internet or TV.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here