Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] When English Football Ruled Europe ITV4 9PM

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Good programme last night

Graeme Souness said Forest winning the European Cup twice was a far more bigger achievement than Leicester winning the Premier

Couple of things I'd forgotten

Bill Shankley never won the European Cup,he obviously laid down the foundations

And Keegan left right after winning the trophy

Trevor Francis the first million pound player,after he signed the contract Brian Clough told him to make tea for everyone

Part 2 tonight 9pm

Aston Villa's turn to lift the trophy

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Graeme Souness said Forest winning the European Cup twice was a far more bigger achievement than Leicester winning the Premier

Trevor Francis the first million pound player,after he signed the contract Brian Clough told him to make tea for everyone

Part 2 tonight 9pm

Souness is quite right, Forest achievements were massive given the size of the club.

Very rare to hear Souness praise anyone given he still just bangs on about his own achievements.

Villa v Bayern tonight, I actually went to that game in Rotterdam - brilliant night

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Souness is quite right, Forest achievements were massive given the size of the club.

Villa v Bayern tonight, I actually went to that game in Rotterdam - brilliant night

Peter Withe played against us for Newcastle in the old div 2 just 3 season's earlier

It's a funny old game saint

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Part 2 tonight 9pm

Liverpool came close in 1965, ended in the EC semi final second leg at Inter Milan, when the officials made a series of dubious decisions all in favour of the home team. Corruption was prevalent at that time. English clubs used such experiences of the dark arts in their early european campaigns, to later conquer and win cup after cup.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Liverpool came close in 1965, ended in the EC semi final second leg at Inter Milan, when the officials made a series of dubious decisions all in favour of the home team. Corruption was prevalent at that time. English clubs used such experiences of the dark arts in their early european campaigns, to later conquer and win cup after cup.

Not forgetting you only entered the European Cup if you were the previous winner or had won your top league the previous season.

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Indeed,didn't Forest fall foul of this against Anderlect?

I think Cloughie went close with Derby too,but for some very dubious decisions,was it a semi against Juve?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Did I imagine it, or was Cloughie once quoted as saying Francis never was a million, it was £999,999.99p or something?

Also completely forgot that Forest knocked Liverpool out in the first round.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Yes, that and others. Although it pleases many NSC'ers Leeds were robbed of EC glory in 1975 thanks to all the officials acting for Bayern in several clearly wrong decisions.
https://you-are-the-ref.com/leeds-uniteds-european-cup-final-40-years-on-were-they-robbed-3/

Blimey yeah,forgot about that game
I'm pretty sure that was the first European Cup Final I had watched
Peter Lorimer disallowed goal I seem to remember
Shame they never won it though,would have been another English club to add to the list

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here