Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Lesser known clubs who have had a go at us at home

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
At the risk of being grumbled at about glorifying the punch-ups of yester year. I am sure there is a tale to tell about the 'fans' of non- notorious clubs visiting the Goldstone and trying their hand at ruffling a few feathers.

We all know the rumpuses that occurred at home to Chelsea and Spurs et al but what about Cambridge United and Bristol Rovers.

I do recall skirmishes outside and a brave 4 or 5 calling us out in the North Stand. Rovers got hurled over the barriers and Cambridge were chased back and forward by some of our mob. The 'Benny Hill music would have gone down a treat.

Any other anecdotes?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Oxford mob sat in the south stand ran onto the pitch in the mid 80’s, talk to a few over 40’s who will tell you the fun we had with the Sheffield United fans on the pitch in the 80’s

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Blackpool had a go , didn't last long really , i seem to remember Oxford tried it on in the N/W corner once but i maybe mistaken on that one , my overwhelming memory of Northstand takeovers was a friendly with spurs i think it was 1-6 to them it was literally rammed with spurs , i was only a whippersnapper but a small group of Brighton re entered the north after half time and had a right old ding dong battle which ended in a kind of respectful no mans land truce .

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
December 1971. A large mob of Bournemouth fans arrived very early at the Goldstone and took over the North Stand.
Some Brighton supporters made a few forays to try and drive the intruders out but were initiaiiy outnumbered and repelled, but as more and more fans arrived we started to make inroads, and finally the North Stand was reclaimed.
After the game, the Bournemouth coaches which were parked at the Greyhound Stadium were attacked and several were badly damaged.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
December 1971. A large mob of Bournemouth fans arrived very early at the Goldstone and took over the North Stand.
Some Brighton supporters made a few forays to try and drive the intruders out but were initiaiiy outnumbered and repelled, but as more and more fans arrived we started to make inroads, and finally the North Stand was reclaimed.
After the game, the Bournemouth coaches which were parked at the Greyhound Stadium were attacked and several were badly damaged.
They still were in the NS next to the chicken run with a double line of coppers separating the fans. In the eyes of Return of the Rev they took the NS and held on till the end. They certainly had a very big mob. I was told the GS was carnage after the game.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
They still were in the NS next to the chicken run with a double line of coppers separating the fans. In the eyes of Return of the Rev they took the NS and held on till the end. They certainly had a very big mob. I was told the GS was carnage after the game.

As you say, they were still in the NS, but had been driven to one side. Had the Police not formed that barrier, I’m sure the Brighton fans, who were really up for it that day, would have forced the Bournemouth mob out.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Scunthorpe United in 1991.

And what a bunch of cowards they were.

I chased one of the buggers after he had randomly smacked one of our supporters to the ground. He hid behind some coppers who were more concerned about my reaction.

As the train for London pulled out of Hove station he was cowering in a seat corner.
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] may remember this one.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
As you say, they were still in the NS, but had been driven to one side. Had the Police not formed that barrier, I’m sure the Brighton fans, who were really up for it that day, would have forced the Bournemouth mob out.
I remember seeing many of our fans with blood wounds and bandages still in the NS trying to attack them. They wanted retribution.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Port Vale
Scunthorpe
Hayes

All in the 90’s

I remember Scunthorpe but thought it was maybe in the 80,s? Think it may have been an FA Cup game.

Scunthorpe United in 1991.

And what a bunch of cowards they were.

I chased one of the buggers after he had randomly smacked one of our supporters to the ground. He hid behind some coppers who were more concerned about my reaction.

As the train for London pulled out of Hove station he was cowering in a seat corner.
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] may remember this one.

Yep FA Cup 1991. The tw@ had a go at the smallest and youngest of us and then went on his toes when you chased him back. It was kicking off all down Fonthill Road but they got sorted out at the station IIRC. Hayes was full of Chelsea, was in the West Stand seats for that one on Stuart Tuck's comps. Port Vale - mass pitch invasion after going up including a few in the North and some dressed as St Trinians!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Northampton Town 1987-88, a Friday evening game. Again they were chasing a few down Sackville Rd before the inevitable coming together.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Blackpool had a go , didn't last long really , i seem to remember Oxford tried it on in the N/W corner once but i maybe mistaken on that one , my overwhelming memory of Northstand takeovers was a friendly with spurs i think it was 1-6 to them it was literally rammed with spurs , i was only a whippersnapper but a small group of Brighton re entered the north after half time and had a right old ding dong battle which ended in a kind of respectful no mans land truce .
That spurs game was my first game. . There was only around 6000 there in total and I don't recall any trouble.....now the league game 2 years later, that's another story!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yep FA Cup 1991. The tw@ had a go at the smallest and youngest of us and then went on his toes when you chased him back. It was kicking off all down Fonthill Road but they got sorted out at the station IIRC. Hayes was full of Chelsea, was in the West Stand seats for that one on Stuart Tuck's comps. Port Vale - mass pitch invasion after going up including a few in the North and some dressed as St Trinians!

My only memory of the Hayes match was getting utterly soaked on the east terrace. Bucketed down all afternoon.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I seem to recall Brentford having a pop around 87

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The Bournemouth game mentioned before was just about my favourite Goldstone game. They were in early so 'took' the North when it was empty. Albion fans came in and the away fans were pushed across towards the west side. There was a crowd of 30,600 for this div 3 game so barely room to move. The police kept a little gap between the surging fans & tried to use dogs but I think the noise sent the dogs mad so they had to leave. Bottles & all sorts of missiles flew between the fans. Oh, and Albion won a great victory 2-0.

Back in the day, Luton games were a bit tasty too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here