Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Missing cash sent in the post

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
OK, stupid I hear you cry. Send it registered or recorded... you are right. However. The times post has got lost in the post must be microscopic. So.... last week my wife sends £70 to our grandson within his birthday card. It never arrived. Since then we've heard similar tales of non-delivery when cash has been involved. Is all this purely co-incidental or is there a way of 'flagging' if there's money in a sealed envelope. Or.... the fact that there is an obvious large amount of post on a particular day suggest birthdays and possible raw dosh within. Is this just unlucky or is there something more sinister? All the 'posties' I know are great guys/girls, so we're in a quandary. Any thoughts or any other similar stories?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Envelopes with cards in are obvious. Envelopes with cards in shout of a possibility of cash. In this day and age of Paypal and instant money transfers via online bank accounts why would anyone take the risk ?

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Envelopes with cards in are obvious. Envelopes with cards in shout of a possibility of cash. In this day and age of Paypal and instant money transfers via online bank accounts why would anyone take the risk ?
I agree but this little chap doesn't have a bank account and we wanted him to have the joy of opening his card with money in it. As I said it was, on reflection, stupid but surely trust must come in here somewhere.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
OK, stupid I hear you cry. Send it registered or recorded... you are right. However. The times post has got lost in the post must be microscopic. So.... last week my wife sends £70 to our grandson within his birthday card. It never arrived. Since then we've heard similar tales of non-delivery when cash has been involved. Is all this purely co-incidental or is there a way of 'flagging' if there's money in a sealed envelope. Or.... the fact that there is an obvious large amount of post on a particular day suggest birthdays and possible raw dosh within. Is this just unlucky or is there something more sinister? All the 'posties' I know are great guys/girls, so we're in a quandary. Any thoughts or any other similar stories?

did you get a proof of posting?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When we were in SA my Dad always insisted on sending my kids cash for their birthdays from the UK. He always sent it seperately from the card in an envelope with a letter inside. They always turned up which is pretty impressive considering the amount of stuff that goes missing in the SA postal system. But there is really no need to do it nowadays.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You have my sympathies, but unfortunately a signifcant chunk of society is (criminally) light fingered given the slighest opportunity.

Less exciting for the recipient but only send by cheque or faster payment to the parent.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Postman-Plod.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
download_LI.jpg

It may of course not be the postman, the card could be lost in the system, or delivered to the wrong address where a householder has taken the money.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Sure it wasn't an issue with the card being overweight due to the money inside, or too big or with a birthday badge attached that would make it too thick for the stamps value? Royal Mail can be pretty pernickety about that kind of thing now that they've been privatised. Not sure what their rules are about delivering things with insufficient postage on, but I've had stuff go astray/not be delivered where I've just slapped a couple of first class stamps on and hoped for the best. Nowadays if I'm in any doubt about the weight or dimesnsions of an envelope, I go to the post office and get them to make the call on the correct postage.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Anytime people have sent me cash in the post it has always gone missing. Sometimes the envelope turns up in a Royal Mail plastic bag apologising for the damage and instructing me to report anything that I think is missing. I have no proof that there was ever any cash in there so that’s that. I then have to inform the customer who sent it that the money didn’t turn up and they still owe me. Only the person that nicked the money is smiling.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The safest way would be to transfer the money to mum or dad's bank account to they can withdraw the cash. Send the card unsealed in another envelope address to mum or dad so they can open it, put the cash in the card envelope and seal it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Or the Grandson is already a bit of a criminal genius, pocketed the money, then told everyone he didn't get anything...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

did you get a proof of posting?

https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item/print-proof-of-delivery/SF428364094GB#/

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Sure it wasn't an issue with the card being overweight due to the money inside, or too big or with a birthday badge attached that would make it too thick for the stamps value? Royal Mail can be pretty pernickety about that kind of thing now that they've been privatised. Not sure what their rules are about delivering things with insufficient postage on, but I've had stuff go astray/not be delivered where I've just slapped a couple of first class stamps on and hoped for the best. Nowadays if I'm in any doubt about the weight or dimesnsions of an envelope, I go to the post office and get them to make the call on the correct postage.

Yeah, maybe it required a Large Letter stamp, it may still turn up
shame about their birthday though. I always put birthday cards in a second (brown) envelope .... then it looks like a bill

Interesting fact:

When the Cullinan Diamond was sent to England a big show was put on about how it was being transported in a strong box in the safe of an Ocean Liner.

It was actually sent by post.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here