Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Awful 1st Albums but success followed

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
To reverse the current threads on best debut and third albums, I thought it would be fum to look at terrible debut albums where the group went onto better things. May well be restricted to earlier times when labels were prepared to let groups develop over time.

So for starters

From Genesis to Revelation - Genesis
Supertramp - Supertramp
Thin Lizzy - Thin Lizzy

Others?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
To reverse the current threads on best debut and third albums, I thought it would be fum to look at terrible debut albums where the group went onto better things. May well be restricted to earlier times when labels were prepared to let groups develop over time.

So for starters

From Genesis to Revelation - Genesis
You beat me to it :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So can I put forward a bands 5th album and say they were shite after that point, or am I supposed to read the thread title?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If I had been around to hear 'Bob Dylan', Bob Dylan and 'David Bowie', David Bowie when they came out I wouldn't have given a toss if they recorded another song.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Hammond's Folly:

R-1189504-1200257470.jpeg.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dull UK eighties bands that went on to IMHO success out of all proportion to their talent largely due to dumbass American stadium rocksheep would include

- Depeche Mode
- Simple Minds
- Duran Duran

Shallow as f*ck. Make U2 look DEEP by comparison.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Johnny Osbournes first album was pretty forgettable. His second, Truths and Rights is a reggae landmark album. Every tune is an anthem.

Attachments

• 172071524199.jpg
    172071524199.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 138

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Dull UK eighties bands that went on to IMHO success out of all proportion to their talent largely due to dumbass American stadium rocksheep would include

- Depeche Mode
- Simple Minds
- Duran Duran

Can we add Def Leopard to this list?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

- Depeche Mode
- Simple Minds
- Duran Duran

Depeche Mode WTF?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Boomtown Rats

could they get any worse tbh

Well, Bobby G went on to achieve Live Aid-related sainthood, but it was nowt to do with The Boomtown Rats. Ditto Midge Ure who by rights should now be back playing pubs or doing a milk round. Certainly nothing to do with any innate musical talent. It means nothing to me.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Well, Bobby G went on to achieve Live Aid-related sainthood, but it was nowt to do with The Boomtown Rats. Ditto Midge Ure who by rights should now be back playing pubs or doing a milk round. Certainly nothing to do with any innate musical talent. It means nothing to me.

I just googled Midge Ure out of curiosity, (why would you call yourself Midge FFS) .... it's the phonetic reversal of his diminutive real name James

Yeah ... Reknaw :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here