Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official Brighton Marathon 2018 Thread

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I can't see that one has been started yet and April 15th is drawing ever closer...

This will be my 4th Brighton Marathon and my first for 4 years. I ran the 2010, 2012 and 2014 with ever increasing times (03:55, 04:02 and 04:03 respectively) and would love to do this one in under 4.

My training has been pretty erratic but after a 20 mile run last Saturday I'm feeling confident that I'll complete it without too much incident.

However, with the palace game the day before there is a potential for a beer related hiccup in the preparations.

Good luck to everyone running the marathon and those walking the streets of Croydon!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I can't see that one has been started yet and April 15th is drawing ever closer...

This will be my 4th Brighton Marathon and my first for 4 years. I ran the 2010, 2012 and 2014 with ever increasing times (03:55, 04:02 and 04:03 respectively) and would love to do this one in under 4.

My training has been pretty erratic but after a 20 mile run last Saturday I'm feeling confident that I'll complete it without too much incident.

However, with the palace game the day before there is a potential for a beer related hiccup in the preparations.

Good luck to everyone running the marathon and those walking the streets of Croydon!

You might bump into my mate, a gormless looking chap with a beard :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

!

Ditto. 4th BM and should reverse the trend of ever increasing times. 3:50, 3:57 and 4:07.
We could hold hands I'm aiming at 3:59:59.

Before the start there is usually a NSC gathering outside the cafe to wish each other well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's my fourth one too! Times were: 3:57 (2013); 4:59 (2014, having done a triathlon first and with a leg hanging off) and 4:08 (2016).

I'd be delighted with 3:59:59, but realistically I think I'm looking closer to 4:15...

Good luck to all.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
This is my first Brighton marathon (first marathon of any kind). As I just posted on the running thread, I was kind of hoping for sub-4 hours, but given my lack of experience in distances longer than a half marathon, and my advanced age, that may be optimistic.

And as the OP notes, the trip to Selhurst on the 14th may or may not be helpful....

Slightly apprehensive, but overall looking forward to it.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've run it three times in the past (the first three) with ever decreasing times. Retired after my third with a time I'll never repeat (4:36) and just do Parkrun nowadays.

As last year, I'll be marshalling near the start this year and will then be able to wander into town to watch the slower runners finishing.

Good luck to all taking part, and don't forget to put your bib numbers on here when you know them so we can all follow you and give you a cheer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll be joining a large BHA contingent in the preceding BM10k. We'll be first at the bar, not for the first time.

I had entered the full thing but injury stopped me running from August to January. I dropped down to the 10K and, although I got up to half marathon distance again within 6 weeks it still feels like the correct decision.

I have one under my belt in the infamous time of 4:00:06 and will be giving 2019 a crack for REMF subject to the approval of Jesus The Physio.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Second time for me - not expecting to beat 3:49 from 2015 (which was a reverse split he says smugly)
Will also be delighted with 3:59:59 this year.

I’ll also be handing out bibs on Friday morning.

Looking forward to next three weeks of excitement and maranoia

Brunswick afterwards?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I don’t remember this being advertised, but I’ve just had this email out of the blue from Brighton marathon, saying ...

“As an American Express Cardmember who paid for your 2018 Brighton Marathon entry using your card, you are invited to take advantage of:
• A fast-lane queue at Race Pack Collection in the Event Village
• The American Express Hospitality Area at the Start in Preston Park on Race Day for bag drop and exclusive facilities.”

I’m now intrigued to find out what these exclusive facilities might be. Anyone have any experience of this or is it a new thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don’t remember this being advertised, but I’ve just had this email out of the blue from Brighton marathon, saying ...

“As an American Express Cardmember who paid for your 2018 Brighton Marathon entry using your card, you are invited to take advantage of:
• A fast-lane queue at Race Pack Collection in the Event Village
• The American Express Hospitality Area at the Start in Preston Park on Race Day for bag drop and exclusive facilities.”

I’m now intrigued to find out what these exclusive facilities might be. Anyone have any experience of this or is it a new thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No queues for you when collecting your race pack. Less stress. Not sure about your exclusive facilities.....

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
This will be my 5th marathon and 5th at Brighton, those of you who know me from Parkrun know that I don't travel well!

Times have varied from a crippled first effort of 5h30 to a best of 3h52 a couple of years back. Having missed the first five weeks of this year with my hamstring I'm aiming for about 4h20.

Felt like I was treading water at the end of 19 at the weekend, might need an on course boost to meet the target time.

Good luck to all taking part (and those making the trip up to the Croydon Kettle) I'll keep my eyes open for friendly faces at both...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Brighton Marathon number 4 for me too, spooky coincidance in this thread! It's marathon number 8 overall, so I know what to expect and this time is the one. I'm aiming for sub 3, but that may be too ambitious given my recent groin problem but I've been doing plenty in the gym and I've done 375 miles for the year so far with a variation of pace and plodding. If I can keep myself calm on the day I reckon I will be able to get damn close. If I can't hit it around Brighton, I'll be entering into another event this year before turning my attention back to cracking a 17:59 parkrun!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I think [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] had the Amex privileges in a previous year.
Don’t get excited about the exclusive race pack queue - it did nt look any different to the others to me last year, at least on Friday.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
This is very very spooky! This will be Brighton marathon number 4 for me. I did this in 2011 (5.46), 2015 (5.14) amd 2017 (4.34). It will be my 7th Marathon in total and I am aiming to try and stay with the 4.15 pace runner this time. My current PB is 4.28. This is my first of 3 mararthons in 6 weeks (Brighton, Lonon & Edinburgh) all to raise funds for the Martlets Hospice in Hove. My longer term ambition is to go sub 4 hours................

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-raven2

Nervously excited at the moment. Brighton 15/4 and London 22/4 , just a week apart is a new experiance for me! I did an Ultra in December last year (30 miles), but the lack of recovery time is my main concern. Edinburgh is 27/5 so a litle more time between runs! EEEEeeeeeeKKKkKKKKkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

StroudSeagull

Mar 27, 2018
My first marathon after a dozen or so half marathons - aiming for sub-4 hours. I moved away from Brighton nearly 30 years ago so it will be quite emotional running around the streets I grew up in!

Question for those that have run before - the course looks quite flat on the profile but what are the tougher/ easier bits? I suppose it depends on the prevailing wind direction - if it is blowing from the east I guess it makes for a tough last 5 miles!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This is my fourth BM, aiming to finish in around 3 hours but suspect I may be off pace by about 15s a mile from where I need to be.

Going to start off at 7 min miles and see if I have anything left with 5 miles to go.

E: Fantastic effort Mr Blobby.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I seem to be 1 behind most as only my 3rd at Brighton. I dropped out last year after proving to myself I couldn’t run 2 marathons in a week but fairly sure I’ll complete it this time round in something under 4 hours. Last year was way too hot, hoping for 2016 conditions when it was cloudy, cool and calm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here