Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Fixing a curtain pole to dot and dab external wall

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Good evening to the wisest of the wise sages on here.

Last month I moved into a new rented house. It's all very nice and all that but it only has blinds in at the moment.

I need a pitch dark room to sleep and our 3 year old is refusing to go to bed when it's still daylight outside. This clock change hasn't helped either.

I want to put some black out curtains up to help and have the landlords permission to do so.

The trouble is that all the walls sound hollow when tapped so I strongly think that all the walls have been dot and dabbled.

How can I fix a curtain pole up? I've put them up before using a batten but there isn't any studwork to hit and the cavity is going to be <1" so butterfly fixings can't expand properly or won't be big enough to support some thick curtains.

Any suggestions please?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Google the fixings that were on dragons den.

You drill a correct size big hole with a wood bit. The fixing slots into the hole and has thing butterfly wings that expand behind. You turn them with a screwdriver.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But I'd imagine the screw in fixings will work. They are very strong but not as strong as this new style fixing.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
If not screw in plaster board fixings as mentioned above, then drill deeper into the block / brickwork with a 7 or 8 mm bit whack a brown plug in there and a couple of 3" 10's (screws) should do the job

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'll have a look at those dragons den ones. Thank you.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Screw and silicon/ gripfill a curtain baton to the wall first to spread the weight then fix the curtai poll to that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Screw and silicon/ gripfill a curtain baton to the wall first to spread the weight then fix the curtai poll to that.

Is the correct answer.
This is what I have done, 2 X 1 baton, and I painted it before fixing to the wall.
Used screws and Gripfill, made sure the Gripfill was dry before fitting the curtain pole.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
[MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] Don't use anything that expands butterfly type wings behind the cavity as they might seem attached really firmly but all the weight will be held by the plasterboard. I had exactly the same issue last year and eventually settled on using these fixings which go far enough into the wall behind the plasterboard to have the wall bearing the weight of the curtain pole and curtains, they are the best product I've managed to find to date and believe me I've tried every sort of plug, screw, expansion fixing etc!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072JYXJL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] Don't use anything that expands butterfly type wings behind the cavity as they might seem attached really firmly but all the weight will be held by the plasterboard. I had exactly the same issue last year and eventually settled on using these fixings which go far enough into the wall behind the plasterboard to have the wall bearing the weight of the curtain pole and curtains, they are the best product I've managed to find to date and believe me I've tried every sort of plug, screw, expansion fixing etc!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072JYXJL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those look perfect. Thank you!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

So how do they work when you have a steel lintel sitting 1" behind the plasterboard?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
So how do they work when you have a steel lintel sitting 1" behind the plasterboard?

Most steel lintels for simple construction are an inverted T or I shape allowing for at least 1 course of bricks to be laid in front of the central portion of the steel, thats more than enough depth along with the plasterboard to affix these to. You are very unlikely to have a continuous length of steel directly behind the plasterboard.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Amazing a type of fixing I haven't got. Believe me that's rare.
I quite like the concrete/frame fixing screw in these situations.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-countersunk-concrete-screws-7-5-x-80mm-100-pack/8400h

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I struggled to find some fixings that are for dry lined/ dot & dab walls a couple of years ago.
Screwfix and builders merchants didn't seem to stock fixings specifically for dry lined walls.

12" BOLTS should be considered. If they stick out a bit outside - cut them off:moo:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
GripIt are great for everything from pictures, rails to TV brackets

fgf.JPG

Reusable too!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
12" BOLTS should be considered. If they stick out a bit outside - cut them off:moo:

I worked with someone that fitted a combi boiler with threaded rod that went through the wall and had washers and nuts outside.
It was on an old house near 7 Dials with one of those walls made of flint and horse crap :)
Boss wasn't impressed, but the boiler wasn't falling off the wall.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I’m getting fed up with these controversial threads.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here