Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Greatest comebacks from losing positions

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I noticed Salford City who are top of Vanarama north were 4-0 down on Sat with 9 mins to play and drew 4-4.

Got me trying to remember what was the Albion's biggest comeback from the jaws of defeat, but I can't think of one on that scale.

What is the biggest comeback you know of.?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
My dad, who supported Charlton before moving to Brighton in the late 50s, never used to tire of telling me how Charlton, down to 10 men and losing 5-1 to Huddersfield with half an hour left turned the game round with 5 goals to lead 6-5. Huddersfield then equalised, but Charlton got a late winner to make the game 7-6. Huddersfield were the first, and as far as I know only, side to ever score 6 goals in a league match and lose. A Charlton played (Johnny Summers?) scored 5. Amazing stuff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The law dictates Salford should have lost that match 5-4 with a goal from the very last kick of the game.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is one for [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION]. I wonder if he was there too. My stepdad was a massive Chelsea fan and sometimes took me to games. I was at a game at the Bridge in the late 70s/early 80s where Chelsea went 3-0 down against Bolton very early on but scored 4 goals in the last 10 minutes to win the game.

I can't recall seeing a bigger one than that although did Arsenal come back from 4 goals down against Reading a few years ago?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I noticed Salford City who are top of Vanarama north were 4-0 down on Sat with 9 mins to play and drew 4-4.

Got me trying to remember what was the Albion's biggest comeback from the jaws of defeat, but I can't think of one on that scale.

What is the biggest comeback you know of.?

The Salford game, they were not only 4-0 down on 81 minutes; they were still 4-1 down on 89 minutes.

The equaliser was from a soft penalty in the 96th minute. Kidderminster not impressed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is one for [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION]. I wonder if he was there too. My stepdad was a massive Chelsea fan and sometimes took me to games. I was at a game at the Bridge in the late 70s/early 80s where Chelsea went 3-0 down against Bolton very early on but scored 4 goals in the last 10 minutes to win the game.

I can't recall seeing a bigger one than that although did Arsenal come back from 4 goals down against Reading a few years ago?

Spurs v United, is the biggest, and most famous of the Premier League era, I'd say.

HT Spurs 3-0 United
FT Spurs 3-5 United

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/1567733.stm

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Charlton game mentioned above is my favourite comeback...

Close second is probably Brentford (Or Birmingham, or both Fulham games) from last season... Bloody hell, last season was amazing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I seem to remember that we were 3-0 down away at Coventry in the old first division and came back to draw 3-3. May be wrong though

No, spot on.

Hat-trick for Gordon Smith, in the last 25 minutes. And he had one cleared off the line at 3-3.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Lazarus made the best comeback.

For the Albion, although it is not so extreme, we were losing 2-1 away to Grimsby in 1985 with 15 minutes to play and we scored 3 late goals to win 4-2.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
NSC sponsored a Lewes v Redbridge game (quite) a few years ago, and what a game it was Lewes were 4-0 or 4-1 down and came back to win 5-4

Edit: Here it is

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...or-pulls-out-of-Lewes-match-Should-we-step-in

It's an oft-told tale of when NSC sponsored a Lewes match (Lewes v Redbridge - December 2005). Great match, Lewes second in the table at the time, Redbridge bottom.

We were drinking Harveys all morning, get to the Dripping Pan, more Harveys in the supporters' bar (get picture taken with Albert Jarrett), more Harveys on the terraces. Go for a piss just on kick-off, get out of the loo and Redbridge are 1-0 up (34 seconds). Come 30 minutes and Redbridge are 4-0 up and the Lewes fans are singing for the Brighton fans to **** off for being a jinx.

Lewes get a penalty - miss it, but still manage to score before half-time. 4-1 to Redbridge at the break. 20 minutes into the second half, after intense pressure, more Harveys on the terrace, and more goals, Lewes go 5-4 up. The last 20 minutes are a bore, frankly.

After eleventy pints of Harveys, I forget one of the responsibilities of the match sponsor - choosing the Man of the Match. Thankfully, one of my mates with me hadn't been drinking so he chose for me. Ooops.

Marvellous day, marvellous scenes. And for that experience alone, I will have a soft spot for Lewes FC.

And we do it all again at next year's REMF game. :drink:

One thing I did hear is that you can't drink beer on the terraces during an FA Cup match - FA rules and all that.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Newcastle came from 4-0 down against Arsenal a few years back to draw 4-4. Tiote scored a banger.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here