Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] RAF100 - BBC1 Tonight At 2030

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Should be of interest to plenty on here, Ewan McGregor basically going through the history of the RAF, talking to pilots (including Johnny Johnson and Martin Withers), looking at the various kinds of aircraft that have been in use over the last century and culminating with him taking a ride in a Typhoon.

Should be very interesting viewing. [emoji106]

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Cheers, already have seat reserved.
In [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] case, several sand bags and gas lamps, as he was about at the beginning :cool:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Should be of interest to plenty on here, Ewan McGregor basically going through the history of the RAF, talking to pilots (including Johnny Johnson and Martin Withers), looking at the various kinds of aircraft that have been in use over the last century and culminating with him taking a ride in a Typhoon.

Should be very interesting viewing. [emoji106]
Martin Withers part of the fantastic and what they said was an impossible mission. Bombing Stanley Airfield so the Argies couldn't use it. Amazing achievement.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Martin Withers part of the fantastic and what they said was an impossible mission. Bombing Stanley Airfield so the Argies couldn't use it. Amazing achievement.

Indeed, and on the grounds of the Vulcan being my favourite aircraft its a story I know well - I trust you've read Rowland White's "Vulcan 607"?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Indeed, and on the grounds of the Vulcan being my favourite aircraft its a story I know well - I trust you've read Rowland White's "Vulcan 607"?

Absolutely, read it twice. The logistics involved in that operation was astounding. Getting the bombers there and back with the refuelling. Particularly the rendezvous with the tanker after the mission had been completed. Not being able to find it and running on fresh air only to spot it in the nick of time. Incredible.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Absolutely, read it twice. The logistics involved in that operation was astounding. Getting the bombers there and back with the refuelling. Particularly the rendezvous with the tanker after the mission had been completed. Not being able to find it and running on fresh air only to spot it in the nick of time. Incredible.
You've probably seen this, but its worth sharing anyway:

https://youtu.be/3KrOZBl8ZPQ

Obviously doesn't go into the same level of detail as the book is able to, but gives a good overview of it all with plenty of insight from those involved.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Cheers, already have seat reserved.
In [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] case, several sand bags and gas lamps, as he was about at the beginning :cool:

Cheeky tw@t......I was on the front gate when you were on Cow and Gate.......I was in Bagdad when you were in your dads bag etc etc...

Anyway I assume you are strapped onto your **** chariot watching BBC1? its on in the background but im not interested......( maybe a bit)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Cheeky tw@t......I was on the front gate when you were on Cow and Gate.......I was in Bagdad when you were in your dads bag etc etc...

Anyway I assume you are strapped onto your **** chariot watching BBC1? its on in the background but im not interested......( maybe a bit)

:fishing::clap::bowdown:
Evening Andy :)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Some inaccuracies in this programme, for example the BE2c was withdrawn before the Fokker DR1 ever flew

They also omitted to say the RAF was formed from the Royal Naval Air Service (later the Fleet Air Arm) & the Royal Flying Corps.
Our own Henry Allingham was an aircraft mechanic at the Battle of Jutland, and a founder member of the RAF on 1st April 1918.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Interesting if a little sloppy with the story of the RAF. I've always found EM to be very personable and engaging on his documentary programmes but I find him utterly bereft of any screen presence in his films (except Trainspotting).

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Extremely moving programme . Such brave men and women . Utmost respect for them all . Humbling.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here