Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Boiler issue

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Any bolier/Gas engineers here.

I have a 10 year old Worcester Bosch 30si. Heating works fine. But if I run a bath, after 5 mins the hot water will cut out and a blue flashing light and a red flashing reset button will start. If I press the reset button, all appears fine until another 5 mins and the cut out and flashing lights all starts again.

Im under British Gas service, but have called them out to fix the problem, whereby they have replaced the heater exchange and then the pump. Pressure guage seems fine.

Im concerned that they will say beyond economical repair. What about Printed circuit board?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
(Just read the post properly..after 5 pints Parvha and dont have answer, but unlikely to be PCB)

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

I have a 10 year old Worcester Bosch 30si. Heating works fine. But if I run a bath, after 5 mins the hot water will cut out and a blue flashing light and a red flashing reset button will start. If I press the reset button, all appears fine until another 5 mins and the cut out and flashing lights all starts again.

Im under British Gas service, but have called them out to fix the problem, whereby they have replaced the heater exchange and then the pump. Pressure guage seems fine.

Im concerned that they will say beyond economical repair. What about Printed circuit board?

For the moment I would not worry too much unless spare parts are no longer available.
The BG contract is good and they will do whatever necessary to resolve.
I had an old Gloworm boiler (bottom of the range) which a few years ago achieved apparently 'end of road' status but Credit to BG ( not him ) they removed the boiler from situ and rebuilt it on my driveway.
All credit to them BUT you have a much better boiler than I had then so I am sure you will have a good result ! Good Luck !

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

I have a 9 year old Worcester Bosch and it has been a good servant so far.
I have had a couple of reset issues in the past and it turned out that the condensening tank / bottle needed emptying.
There is a removal grey cover underneath the boiler that you would need to unclip.
Might be worth trying.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Im under British Gas service, but have called them out to fix the problem, whereby they have replaced the heater exchange and then the pump.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question.
Did you have the same hot water problem before and after B Gas changed the heat exchanger and pump?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Bn9 bha..yes I did. Really annoying problem.

Do you think B Gas maybe are doing trial and error 'repairs' until they find the actual fault ?
Just a thought, maybe you had an engineer that just hasn't diagnosed the issue correctly.

I used to work for someone like this, not a bad installer but would try various parts until he fixed a boiler. :facepalm:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Do you think B Gas maybe are doing trial and error 'repairs' until they find the actual fault ?
Just a thought, maybe you had an engineer that just hasn't diagnosed the issue correctly.

I used to work for someone like this, not a bad installer but would try various parts until he fixed a boiler. :facepalm:
To be fair, all our engineers have access to xsol, as long as they enter the correct GC Number and follow the procedure correctly, they ought to be able to diagnose any system or wiring fault :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
To be fair, all our engineers have access to xsol, as long as they enter the correct GC Number and follow the procedure correctly, they ought to be able to diagnose any system or wiring fault :)

Yes fair comment, a mate is a really good BG engineer and he's told me all this. I have seen the laptop they use.
But I also know the engineers are given times to carry out jobs, some of these times seem very tight and I can see how mistakes are made.
Seems odd the OPs boiler has had two things changed and he still has the problem.

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Yes fair comment, a mate is a really good BG engineer and he's told me all this. I have seen the laptop they use.
But I also know the engineers are given times to carry out jobs, some of these times seem very tight and I can see how mistakes are made.
Seems odd the OPs boiler has had two things changed and he still has the problem.
Problem is mate, engineers THINK they know what the problem is. If they used xsol from the start, they’d get an accurate diagnosis within 20 minutes max.
It really is a blinding bit of kit

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

For what it’s worth, BG only fit 2 boilers. Worcester Bosch and valiant so you have a decent boiler.
They will only recommend a replacement if the appliance is RSL (reduduced service listed) which means you can’t get the parts anymore.

jon12345

Jul 22, 2014
Try checking both the thermisters ( thermostats) there is also an overheat stat and possibly a flue overheat stat if my memory isn't playing tricks on me. My guess is the boiler is overheating OR one of the stats is faulty making the boiler think it's overheating which is more likely.

I think that overheating causing the boiler to lockout is the conclusion that the BG engineer came to which is why he changed the heat exchanger and pump. But it's more likely to be a stat in my experience.

Good luck.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Try checking both the thermisters ( thermostats) there is also an overheat stat and possibly a flue overheat stat if my memory isn't playing tricks on me. My guess is the boiler is overheating OR one of the stats is faulty making the boiler think it's overheating which is more likely.

I think that overheating causing the boiler to lockout is the conclusion that the BG engineer came to which is why he changed the heat exchanger and pump. But it's more likely to be a stat in my experience.

Good luck.
Thank you. Where are these thermostats? Are they real things, or computer generated things. ..hence my question around pcb?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Thank you. Where are these thermostats? Are they real things, or computer generated things. ..hence my question around pcb?

NTC's (Negative Temperature Coefficient) are inside the case, clipped to pipes. Not expensive in the scheme of things.
They are dry fitment, and measurable with resistance, and the 'negative' bit means the resistance goes down as temp goes up.

But i'm not recommending you go inside the case, that would be wrong, of course.

@Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee - I saw a 25kw Glow worm combi (cheap Vaillant) fitted by BG last week, no scale filter, and no CH filter.. apparently does 14 litres per min according to the Benchmark.. :ohmy:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Thank you. Had no intention of working on a boiler....I just about change a tyre on a bike. But good to know when BG man comes round.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Ive tried resetting. But, no not actually turning power off. Although, we had a power cut a week or so ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here