Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Confession time. Albion players you didn’t rate that highly

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
when playing for us who went on to prove you wrong?

I can only think of one...Jesse Lingard, I didn’t think he’d ever make the United first team let alone become the man who could become touted as the dark horse of the England team in the World Cup a few years later.

I’m still not totally convinced he’s all that either.

Last edited:

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I thought the same. Thought that guy we had on loan from Liverpool was much better ( his name escapes me at the moment).

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know that there are any I've written off. Too often I've seen players be amazing at one club go to another and do nothing, or go from a club where they didn't do much go somewhere else and become a huge success. The right system, the right teammates, the right manager, etc. and everything can change. So the worst I tend to think of players is 'it didn't work out for them here'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought the same. Thought that guy we had on loan from Liverpool was much better ( his name escapes me at the moment).

Tish (if pronounced properly): João Teixeira

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Robbie Savage and Steve Claridge.

With the greatest respect, the OP says 'went on' to greatness.....these two had their better days long behind them...:lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sam Vokes has done better at Burnley than I ever expected and Tommy Elphick at Bournemouth. Although Tommy did well for us I saw it as a step down when he left for Bournemouth

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Players we had who went on to do quite well who looked meh.....

The bloke (a jock I think) with the Polish name who we had on loan from Arsenal with Mark Flatts. See I remember Flatts because he looked good (but had no career to speak of) whereas the other bloke....went on to play for Man City and manage Oldham. Can't be arse to look him up....

Dean Saunders obviously looked a bit rubbish to our club given that he was sold for peanuts then went on to play for Liverpool, and become one of the smuggest after dinner speakers of all time (his Clough routine is very funny but cruel bordering on the bullying of the dead).

And the winner is......aye, it's Ashley Barnes.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I know he was only here on loan, and may not have achieved 'greatness', but Stephen Ward is a solid, consistent, FB who delivers week on week. I always lumped him in with Andrews & Brezovan as a bit pony.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sam Vokes has done better at Burnley than I ever expected and Tommy Elphick at Bournemouth. Although Tommy did well for us I saw it as a step down when he left for Bournemouth

It was, as it was League 1, see also Steve Cook. Tommy has since gone to Villa, where Bruce doesn't play him and sent him out on loan. Steve Cook on the other hand, has stayed at Prem level.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lingard. As unimpressive as Wilson. I’ve since followed the redcafe Lingard thread and until this winter, 2/3 of posters thought Lingard was a waste of squad space. So it’s not just our perception from his time at the Amex; he’s massively improved his game in recent months.

Chris Wood. At Withdean he seemed ok, but in the final few games was slow, heavy, beaten by all CB’s in balls played up and it cost us in a couple of games. He too has totally transformed his game.

Vokes was a hapless donkey for us. He’s turned it around specularly.

In contrast, I loved the play of Murray, Crofts, Bennett, Noone and Barnes, and was gutted when each left.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was, as it was League 1, see also Steve Cook. Tommy has since gone to Villa, where Bruce doesn't play him and sent him out on loan. Steve Cook on the other hand, has stayed at Prem level.

I think the difference is that Steve Cook looked class in that game against Man City at Withdean and like many I thought that he would prove to be a good player but was sold as an aftermath of the court case.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Martin Keown when we had him on loan

Certainly proved me wrong though

Numerous honours & England appearances

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I didn't really rate CMS whilst he was with us that much but saying that he still managed to score my fav goal by any brighton player , the overhead bicycle kick was a thing of beauty unrivaled to this date .

[yt]yvvbs2FXJE4[/yt]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here