Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Oculus Rift

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Anyone got one or have any significant experience of using one?

I'm considering getting one, but undecided as to whether it would be worth it or just an expensive novelty. My computer will handle it without a problem and I have games that I could use it with.

As always, NSC's collective knowledge is appreciated.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Maybe wait for the Occulus Go, use that as a test to whether you want to spend bigger money on the top model.

Personally, I'm going for the Samsung Gear VR to see if the Rift is something I might want later on.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Maybe wait for the Occulus Go, use that as a test to whether you want to spend bigger money on the top model.

Personally, I'm going for the Samsung Gear VR to see if the Rift is something I might want later on.

I'm waiting on the 'Go' myself, but it doesn't have the same degree of freedom of movement, so isn't quite on par as a gaming device.

The 'Go' will have better lenses than the Rift and doesn't need to be tethered to a PC mind you.

Last edited:

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
I had the Samsung Gear and although the use was great as someone who wears glasses it did become uncomfortable fairly quickly. can also make you a bit off balance when you take them off again!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Will it work with my new 'PC'?

product-78225.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Errr no.

But a cassette player built into a keyboard? I almost actually want one even though I have no need of cassettes! :lolol:

That machine, let me tell you, has almost 5 megabytes of ram.

ram.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely, but you're gonna want to go for the slightly older model.

images

I have one of those. Batman in 3d. It was 1969 when I got mine. I was thinkng of blocking you for starting that idiotic thread the other day. But I relented (I lived in Vancouver for 4 years, sentiment is weakness, I know). Now I am glad about my decision :kiss:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Errr no.

But a cassette player built into a keyboard? I almost actually want one even though I have no need of cassettes! :lolol:

plus2.jpg

Fill your boots sir. My mate had one of these, and it would load FVCK-all without copious twiddling with a tiny screwdriver.

5 minutes of screeching, followed by R: Tape loading error

arrrrrrghhhhh

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I have one of those. Batman in 3d. It was 1969 when I got mine. I was thinkng of blocking you for starting that idiotic thread the other day. But I relented (I lived in Vancouver for 4 years, sentiment is weakness, I know). Now I am glad about my decision :kiss:

Haha, no need to block!
I imagine we have very different opinions on many things, I've got nothing personal against anyone who thinks differently to me, though I might argue my point till the end of time.

I'd be interested to hear about your experience of Vancouver, especially what kind of areas you used to live/work in.
I have a love/hate relationship with Van, much like NSC.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
plus2.jpg

Fill your boots sir. My mate had one of these, and it would load FVCK-all without copious twiddling with a tiny screwdriver.

5 minutes of screeching, followed by R: Tape loading error

arrrrrrghhhhh

Not so fond memories of doing likewise with an 'outboard' cassette player into a ZX81.

Seem to remember the cassette player volume had to be 'just so' or no bueno. :annoyed:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haha, no need to block!
I imagine we have very different opinions on many things, I've got nothing personal against anyone who thinks differently to me, though I might argue my point till the end of time.

I'd be interested to hear about your experience of Vancouver, especially what kind of areas you used to live/work in.
I have a love/hate relationship with Van, much like NSC.

I'll pm you :thumbsup:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My partner uses a Rift as part of her psychology research (the massive benefit being she can expose the people being tested to precisely the same scenarios as each other in as close as current technology allows to a real situation). While her applications are somewhat clunky (the funding available to academics researching the mental health effects of child abuse being somewhat lower than that available to games coders), the free tester programmes that are provided by the games companies just knock my socks off. They’re not absolutely perfect (yet), but they’re pretty damn impressive.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Is this the new Tom Cruise movie ?

ahaaahaaahaaa!

Seriously?

ahaaahaaahaa!

Dearie me, dearie me...

ahaaahaaahaa!

I thought you were a man of the world, a bit street, quite sharp.

ahaaahaaahaaa!

That is so the wrong answer.

It is in fact the latest James Bond villain!!!!

ahaaahaaahaa!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Anyone got one or have any significant experience of using one?

I'm considering getting one, but undecided as to whether it would be worth it or just an expensive novelty. My computer will handle it without a problem and I have games that I could use it with.

As always, NSC's collective knowledge is appreciated.

Yes I've used it, yes its excellent. Get one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here