Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Any one been to Ypres?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I am off to Ypres and wondered if any of you wise gentlefolk on NSC have any advice on decent places to eat/drink of an evening? Not to poncy just good honest grub.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Very moving

theboybilly

I go over to Ypres quite a lot now. I usually stay in the Hotel Albion which is decent enough. In the main square near the Cloth Market is Der Trumpet restaurant which is a nice place to eat and not at all expensive. If that is busy there is another eatery next door. If you then walk to the far end of the Cloth Hall there is a bar (with various flags outside) owned by Cristoff. The bar is covered with football regalia and there is a Great War exhibition downstairs. Back up the same road where the Albion Hotel is you will find the Old Bill pub. That stays open quite late and you may bump into some British Forces veterans who are visiting the battlefields. I love Ypres

Edit: Very handily The Birdman has posted a picture of the main square and the Cloth Hall. You can see the two restaurants in the corner with seating outside both. To locate the bar I mentioned go behind the Cloth Hall and cross the road. The bar should be easy to find. The 'Old Bill' pub is up the side road which is behind the person that took the photo - Sint Jacobstraat.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I am off to Ypres and wondered if any of you wise gentlefolk on NSC have any advice on decent places to eat/drink of an evening? Not to poncy just good honest grub.

Most of the cafe bars and bistros around the main square are pretty reasonable cost wise, if you like meat def give The Flemish Beef stew and frites a wizz,
There is a grouping of places at the eastern end of the cloth hall, all are pretty good and a good place to sit outside and watch the world go past

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Something I wouldn't recommend in this country, but truck stops in France, can tick all the boxes, if you are travelling by road and need a break. Typically fairly basic cafes with decent home cooked food at a reasonable price.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Another recommendation for The Trumpet just on the square by the Grotemaarkt. It's all pretty good round there to be honest. I'm assuming you will go to the Menin Gate at 8.00 pm ? very moving and a wonderful commemoration of those who fell.

Are you driving ? if so there is then most amazing beer warehouse in Ploegsteert about a 20minute drive south from Ypres. Hundreds of beers which you can buy singly or by the crate. If you do buy crates there is about a 7 Euro deposit on each crate and 10c on each bottle but its still far cheaper than UK prices.

http://www.vanuxeem.com/vanuxeem/en/6995-our-shops.html

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Been a few times, a very humbling place to visit. Their dedication to keeping the WW1 memory alive is amazing.

If you like beer I would recommend St Arnoldus on Menenstraat. They have about 25 local beers on tap (no stella, carling etc) which range from a 4% Cherry beer to a full bodied dark beer at 14%. You can buy a four beer tasting menu for 10 euros which gives you a chance to try a few.

If it's your first time I would also recommend booking a tour, they are so much more knowledgeable and you'll learn stuff you would have missed doing it by yourself. about 40 euros for a good 4-5 hour tour was the best money we spent. The guy we used was Lionel at Frontline Tours - check out his website.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Take Kleenex if going to the Menin Gate for the 8 o'clock Last Post ceremony, very moving.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Oh, visit the In Flanders Fields First World War museum in the centre. Fascinating.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I will be there on 11/11/18 at 11:00 - got my tissues ready for some serious blubbing! Our family lost 6 members in WW1.

Good for you wbd, try not to stand in the puddle I left last time. I cried my eyes out and I didn't have anyone family wise to cry for. Powerful!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here