Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] CraPFC V BHAFC

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
He was the first black player I can remember seeing at the Goldstone, and I have no hesitation in saying he was fantastic. I don't recall him being singled out for abuse by us, we abused the whole Palace team in general.

It's really interesting seeing how the lives of professionals from the 70s and 80s panned-out after football. You can't imagine a current Prem League player having to become a roofer!

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
He was the first black player I can remember seeing at the Goldstone, and I have no hesitation in saying he was fantastic. I don't recall him being singled out for abuse by us, we abused the whole Palace team in general.

It's really interesting seeing how the lives of professionals from the 70s and 80s panned-out after football. You can't imagine a current Prem League player having to become a roofer!

I wonder who the first £1m pw player will be?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Vince was a superb player, who glided effortlessly down the wing.
Was a sad day when he left.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
He does seem like a nice bloke. Glad I’m too young to remember all that racist crap. That must of been tough.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Great player for them. Don't remember any of that racist nonsense though, & no, I'm not blanking it out.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Great player for them. Don't remember any of that racist nonsense though, & no, I'm not blanking it out.

One of first every footballing memories was of Hillaire scoring for Palace v us in about 1977. What a player he was.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I also don't remember specific racism directed towards him, but it was rife in those days and I'm sure it took place. But I have to admit, even as a kid, I really enjoyed watching him. Much more class then the laughable Zaha who falls down when a gust of wind goes by.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Great player

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Great player. Great kit too, that. Iconic.

Palace fans must look at that and weep, thinking about the succession of crappy shirts they’ve had in the last ten years - mostly looking like snide copies of Barca shirts bought on holiday in Sharm el Sheik.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Vince was a superb player, who glided effortlessly down the wing.
Was a sad day when he left.

Thought you were only a fan since prem league days?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

He was a great player for them. Epic matches in the mid-1970s, fantastic atmospheres but as you say, certainly the Goldstone was nothing like the London grounds for sustained racist abuse.. A few idiots but nothing more and some of them are still around today, unfortunately.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-banana-throwing-monkey-noises-normal-70s-80s

Hope this link works - look who is guest of honour when we play them next month.

Whilst I did not like him as a player purely based on who he played for, it does sound like he had it rough. Comes over as an okay sort of bloke in this piece.....

Looks a good read. I still think that a lot of what is now taken as racial abuse, was the sledging of its time, find a comment to wind up or distract your opponent. Still happens in a far more sanitised form. Well done to VH for saying boxxocks, I'm having my career.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here