Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The future of faith: young people switched off?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, and can only be a good thing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Another one not surprised. And it's not just the young - I'm nearly fifty and have gone from a light believer through agnostic to complete and utter non-believer. I think western world is gradually waking up to reality. What annoys me is that if someone believes in a God most people still think they're sane. Say you believe in unicorns and fairies and you're considered mad. Both are equally daft.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
It's all a load of old bollocks really.
Basically a bloke hid in a cave for a bit as an April fools joke and it got totally out of hand.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Seems that most of the religions involve people 'hearing' voices. Normally a trip the the hospital follows these sort of stories nowadays.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Another one not surprised. And it's not just the young - I'm nearly fifty and have gone from a light believer through agnostic to complete and utter non-believer. I think western world is gradually waking up to reality.

I totally agree. I don't think it's just the young. It would be interesting to expand this survey out to the age group above.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Faith? No. Christianity? Yes.

Being enlightened here in the UK, we have evolved beyond religious fervour somewhat. Muslims haven't had that pleasure, being only relatively recent immigrants to our fine country in great number. Naturally they've brought their developing country mentality (and religion) with them.

In a few hundred years, they'll grow out of it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A medieval practice to keep the plebs in line and stop them upsetting the apple cart because they thought if they accepted their lot of poverty and being ritually beaten by their lords and masters they'd find some sort of reward waiting for them after they died. Good riddance to religion.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm 46 so not really in the young category but I feel sad that the church has lost its way so much.

I believe in good v bad and if the Christian religion embraced that concept more in their church then I could be persuaded. I went to Sunday school as a kid and I think it did do some good. Did help teach me what was right and what was wrong, but the church as it is now is still so outdated.

I went to a christmas service recently (well at Christmas obviously) and it really wasn't inspiring in any way.

It seems to me that Christianity needs to embrace the moe believable elements of the bible and ditch the rest. The existence of a god is hard for many to understand, and therefore I think they should give this one the heave ho and focus more on the good v bad element. Jesus can still be embraced without the need for so many old fashioned references and actions relating to God.

The sad thing is that whilst Christianity is in decline the muslim faith is growing stronger and stronger. We really need a strong Church of England to combat the rise of Islam.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The Church is trying very hard to reverse this trend by spending a lot of effort into trying to turn young people on. However, it's not something they like to publicise or even admit to.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Genuine question from (and this is obvious) someone who isn't religious in the slightest.

Can you be Christian and believe in dinosaurs?

I'm willing to be educated.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Church is trying very hard to reverse this trend by spending a lot of effort into trying to turn young people on. However, it's not something they like to publicise or even admit to.

I think that is just a small percentage of Priests that try and turn young people on, they are not all like that.:kiss:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I believe in good v bad and if the Christian religion embraced that concept more in their church then I could be persuaded.

The existence of a god is hard for many to understand, and therefore I think they should give this one the heave ho and focus more on the good v bad element.

You're one of those that ticked 'Jedi' on the census, aren't you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here