Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Don't assume HMRC are efficient! check it, check it, check it again...

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Two months ago I paid for two years' Voluntary National Insurance contributions for my wife, to get her up to speed for a better government pension one day. According to a statement letter sent to her by HMRC last week, the payment has not yet been applied, nor is there any confirmation that it's been received [I do have proof it was sent].
OK, so I have been busy with my letter writing this morning.

My point is, NEVER assume that HMRC will handle your transaction correctly and quickly. Check it, check it, and check it again until you have 100% confirmation either in writing or on your personal tax account.

Do any of you lovely NSCers work for HMRC and can tell us how the 'Beta' system and it's processes are going... and is my experience unusual?
Thanks. :albion2:

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
HMRC got something wrong? Well I never!

They're useless from top to bottom and all of their 'improvements' usually end up making things worse and less efficient. They had an issue with their PAYE system yesterday which meant that it wasn't recognising user ID's and passwords correctly. Surely that should be basic stuff, right?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Two months ago I paid for two years' Voluntary National Insurance contributions for my wife, to get her up to speed for a better government pension one day. According to a statement letter sent to her by HMRC last week, the payment has not yet been applied, nor is there any confirmation that it's been received [I do have proof it was sent].
OK, so I have been busy with my letter writing this morning.

My point is, NEVER assume that HMRC will handle your transaction correctly and quickly. Check it, check it, and check it again until you have 100% confirmation either in writing or on your personal tax account.

Do any of you lovely NSCers work for HMRC and can tell us how the 'Beta' system and it's processes are going... and is my experience unusual?
Thanks. :albion2:

Its pointless writing as it will take months before the letter is read.

Are you sure they statement is dated after the payment was sent, just because it was received last week doesn't mean a computer didn't print it in October.

Did you pay by cheque and if so has it cleared the bank and did you write the correct reference after the words HMRC on the cheque, if you paid online did you put the correct reference on it.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
They answered the phone with "Inland Revenue - how can I help you" a few weeks ago when I called

They are that far behind :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Before I retired, I had a few years where HMRC were the bane of my life.

Imagine trying to put out a software release to 5K users which included interfacing with HMRC through the Government gateway and they still hadn't provided a test environment 2 weeks prior to release :facepalm:

The conversations were a little more 'The thick of it' than 'Yes minister' :lolol:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
One of the many issues with HMRC is that they generate statements and then stockpile them for (sometimes) many weeks before they send them out; by which time the information could be out of date. I had a client who received a Self Assessment statement yesterday that was dated 1 March.

The Beta testing to which you refer has been running for what seems like forever. We have given feedback, but nothing ever changes!

What is really scary is HMRC going "digital" and yet they still haven't managed to get to communicating by e-mail yet.

For unrepresented taxpayers (ie those not using an accountant or tax consultant) there is also the problem that when (IF!!) the call is ever answered it is just like calling any other call centre. The staff are inadequately trained and work to a prepared script. If you have any issue or question that is outside of the norm, you are pretty much scuppered.

Sorry there's no more positive news; but it is HMRC!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Its pointless writing as it will take months before the letter is read.

Are you sure they statement is dated after the payment was sent, just because it was received last week doesn't mean a computer didn't print it in October.

Did you pay by cheque and if so has it cleared the bank and did you write the correct reference after the words HMRC on the cheque, if you paid online did you put the correct reference on it.

All gd points thanks but, yes: their statement was 6 weeks after I paid; I paid online, have checked the reference 5 times! And have a copy of the transaction confirmation. I'm pretty covered and will have to be patient til they reply to today's letter!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
HMRC got something wrong? Well I never!

They're useless from top to bottom and all of their 'improvements' usually end up making things worse and less efficient. They had an issue with their PAYE system yesterday which meant that it wasn't recognising user ID's and passwords correctly. Surely that should be basic stuff, right?

Yep, you'd think!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
One of the many issues with HMRC is that they generate statements and then stockpile them for (sometimes) many weeks before they send them out; by which time the information could be out of date. I had a client who received a Self Assessment statement yesterday that was dated 1 March.

The Beta testing to which you refer has been running for what seems like forever. We have given feedback, but nothing ever changes!

What is really scary is HMRC going "digital" and yet they still haven't managed to get to communicating by e-mail yet.

For unrepresented taxpayers (ie those not using an accountant or tax consultant) there is also the problem that when (IF!!) the call is ever answered it is just like calling any other call centre. The staff are inadequately trained and work to a prepared script. If you have any issue or question that is outside of the norm, you are pretty much scuppered.

Sorry there's no more positive news; but it is HMRC!

I too have given lots of feedback to their beta system. They do now at least show an expected timeline for their response to some letters, but they give no waiting time indication for a transaction such as voluntary contributions. Yes i did try the call centre, having been referred to it by their online help page.... the agent referred me back to the online help ;)). Awesome! But thanks for yr feedback.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here