Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Lewes girl killed fighting for the Kurdish forces

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Brave girl. Have so much respect for people who go and fight Isis.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
The Kurds have always had a rough time of it anyway as far as I have seen, (sorry, TB is on ignore so can't see her comment)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The Kurds have always had a rough time of it anyway as far as I have seen, (sorry, TB is on ignore so can't see her comment)

Can i ask why see is on your ignore list ?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Wise minds think alike.

TB's words: "Everybody treats the Kurds badly. Syria, Turkey, Isis and Iraq."

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
It goes to show how powerful the concept of a nation state is - and why ISIS aspired to be one. So satisfying to refer to their aspirations as past tense after all these years... but indeed it is also why the Kurdish people have been fighting so long for the nation of Kurdistan; for the protection and future prosperity of their people.

Couldn't agree more, they deserve a secure future for their people

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Totally agree - have to feel a deal of sympathy for the Kurds. Although I would also have to ask, just why is it that everybody who lives near or next to them hates them and wants to kill them...........

Because everyone who lives near the Kurds has grabbed their land and don’t want to give it back. They have a free pass for doing so because Western Governments/activists aren’t bothered either.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately due to problems in the past within Turkeys boarders it's given them an excuse to go over the boarder and settle old scores the Turks sat back and watched massacres now they gone in as it suits its leadership political . Bit like the Russians not helping the Brave Poles when they attacked the Germany's and the Russians sat back while they Poles were crushed.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Because everyone who lives near the Kurds has grabbed their land and don’t want to give it back. They have a free pass for doing so because Western Governments/activists aren’t bothered either.

Unfortunately I think it is worse than that as it was France and Britain that defined the borders of the nation states in the middle east after the First World War. Iraq , Syria and Turkey would say they are defending their 'nation state' a concept that clearly did not apply there.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I have zero respect for mercenaries especially the ones who are in it for a bit of endorsed murder.

I don't think the term mercenary can be used in this instance. Its clear she was a very idealistic individual and passionate about what she was fighting for. I'm sure any financial support she received was minimal and wasn't her primary motive. Western intellectuals and idealists have a long history of fighting in foreign wars for causes they believe in, take the Spanish Civil War for example. You might not agree with their ideological reasons for doing so, but I don't think you can deny their bravery and spirit.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Was a lot of trouble between Turks and Kurds in Den Haag when I was living there. Assassinations, mass brawls, and an arson that killed a Turkish woman and 5 children. Turkey will probably carry on with this until they crush who they consider terrorists. Its all very sad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think the term mercenary can be used in this instance. Its clear she was a very idealistic individual and passionate about what she was fighting for. I'm sure any financial support she received was minimal and wasn't her primary motive. Western intellectuals and idealists have a long history of fighting in foreign wars for causes they believe in, take the Spanish Civil War for example. You might not agree with their ideological reasons for doing so, but I don't think you can deny their bravery and spirit.
Good post. Absolutely agree.

Unless they're fighting for ISIS, of course. Tricky old world, isn't it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here