Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Automobile Question No 2

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It seems to me that most if not all cars new from 2014 now come with side lights on from when you turn the ignition, like the Volvos back in the day, is this a UK/ EU law that has been passed?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Daytime running lights are the brainchild of the EU and are now a legal requirement on all new cars, starting February 2011. Although driving with lights on will seem new to UK drivers, some European countries have had rules requiring drivers to drive with dipped headlights at all times for some years now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

Indeed. I'm far from convinced about them because they make cycles and motorcycles harder to see and they seem to stop people bothering with their main lights in the dark or in poor visibility. I believe there's also no requirement to replace the bulbs once they go either?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not only did they mandate running lights, to deal with concerns this would impact on mpg (or km/l) they stated they had to be low power too. thus a requirement to have more expensive 3 light (High/low, side light, DRL) clusters was born of bureaucracy. for some reason it didnt occur to just use the side light :shrug:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Car lights these days seem to be more based on aesthetics, rather than safety.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Indeed. I'm far from convinced about them because they make cycles and motorcycles harder to see and they seem to stop people bothering with their main lights in the dark or in poor visibility. I believe there's also no requirement to replace the bulbs once they go either?

I drive a new polo, which has the DRL, I could've had them turned off permanently, when I first purchased the car from new, but I didn't bother TBH.
Anyhow, you need hands like a gynacologist, to change the bulbs on my car, as there's no sodding room!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I drive a new polo, which has the DRL, I could've had them turned off permanently, when I first purchased the car from new, but I didn't bother TBH.
Anyhow, you need hands like a gynacologist, to change the bulbs on my car, as there's no sodding room!

Too true! Especially on a small to medium car.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here