Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Max Sanders

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If ever an Albion youngster deserved his own thread, it is surely Max Sanders, who gets his initial first-team involvement when named as a substitute for an FA Cup quarter-final against Manchester United at Old Trafford. I applaud Chris Hughton for including Max in the squad (of course, injuries played a big part in Sanders' inclusion in the 18, I'm sure, with Dale Stephens, Steve Sidwell, Jayson Molumby and Des Hutchinson all currently out of action, but such is the way of football).

So who is Max Sanders?

MaxSanders2.jpg
Photo credit: Paul Hazlewood

Max Harrison Sanders was born on January 4 1999 in Crawley. He attended Tanbridge House School in Horsham. He joined the Brighton and Hove Albion academy at the age of eight and developed through the age groups. He had his first involvement with the Albion U-18 side during his U-15 schoolboy season when he was named as a substitute for the fixture against Milwall on March 15 2014.

That same season, 2013-14, he was a member of the Albion U-15 squad who became national champions by beating Derby, Crewe and Brentford in May at Warwick University to win the Premier League Academy Category Two Final. Sanders scored the winning goal in the final. He had impressed the Albion coaching staff sufficiently to be offered his scholarship a full 12 months before it commenced.

In Sanders' U-16 season of 2014-15 he broke his toe in a pre-season tournament in Denmark, keeping him out for 3 months, but upon his return made 7 appearances for the U-18s. He commenced his two-year scholarship in the summer of 2015 (the same age group as Luis Garcia, Jayson Molumby and Danny Mandroiu).

Sanders scored his first Albion goal when he netted for the U-18s against Southampton on January 16 2016. That was his only goal in 27 appearances for the U-18s in 2015-16. His first involvement with the U-23s (or U-21s as it was then) came on December 7 2015 when he was an unused substitute at Swansea City. He made his debut as a sub against Newcastle United on March 23 2016 and had a second sub appearance against Blackburn 12 days later.

Sanders found his scoring boots in 2016-17 when he netted 6 goals in 17 appearances at U-18 level. He also scored on his full debut for the U-23s, netting in a 3-0 victory over Hailsham Town in the second round of the Sussex Senior Cup on November 9 2016. He scored again at Pagham in the next round as he made 6 appearances for the U-23s in 2016-17. His dad was able to read about Max's exploits in the Albion matchday programme, before anyone else could, as he worked for Bishops who took on the printing of the programme in 2016-17.

This season, Sanders has been an integral member of the U-23 squad, being named on the teamsheet for all but two of the matches before today. He has also contributed 5 goals. NSC correspondent @KZN Seagull went to watch the U-23s win at Middlesbrough a week ago and this was his view of Sanders:-

... We scored with our first chance, a fantastic cross from the right from Sanders over the defence was knocked back by Bjordal for Gyokeres to slot it into the corner past the keeper. Easy Peasy.

We scored from our second chance - another through ball from Sanders was chased down by Gyokeres who was actually fouled on the edge of the box, but the ball ran loose, the ref played on Bjordal slotted home past the keeper.

Sanders - Excellent player. Ran the show. Always seems to have space, looks for the forward pass but not afraid to keep things simple either.

Standout players for me were Big Victor, Sanders, ...

And so, with injuries to a number of midfield players in front of him, 19-year-old Max Sanders was today named as a substitute for Albion's 3rd-ever FA Cup quarter-final. He wasn't to get onto the pitch but he did get the chance to warm-up alongside one or two household names:-

Congratulations to the lad, and hopefully he gets a chance to make his Albion first-team debut in the not-too distant future.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yes, great to see him in the squad. I’ve seen a few U23 games and he stands out - he’s not big but he’s a busy Kayal type player.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He's a goodun that's for sure. I hope he gets another opportunity soon to play alongside Propper/Stephens/Kayal/Gross to see how good he actually is against quality opposition.

What surprised me most about the U23's is actually how young most of them are and how well drilled they are. Very professional. I cannot wait to see them again next time they are up this way.

I am sure it must have been my write up that got him today's gig...........NSC Correspondent, good grief :rolleyes: :lolol:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He's a goodun that's for sure. I hope he gets another opportunity soon to play alongside Propper/Stephens/Kayal/Gross to see how good he actually is against quality opposition.

What surprised me most about the U23's is actually how young most of them are and how well drilled they are. Very professional. I cannot wait to see them again next time they are up this way.

I am sure it must have been my write up that got him today's gig...........NSC Correspondent, good grief :rolleyes: :lolol:

With the requirements being 3 years in the English game to qualify as a HGP and only U21's not taking up a place then it has become increasingly more competitive for our youngsters to develop. If someone doesn't look like they will make it by the time they are 21 then their chances are almost non existent.

We are regularly signing players who are 18 and highly experienced in other leagues and I hope we see these players pushing for a place within the squad in the near future

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And so, with injuries to a number of midfield players in front of him, 19-year-old Max Sanders was today named as a substitute for Albion's 3rd-ever FA Cup quarter-final. He wasn't to get onto the pitch but he did get the chance to warm-up alongside one or two household names:-

and that is why its important to get young players involved, even on the bench. experience isnt just on the pitch.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Although the article states that it is a training camp in Manchester, I wonder if it actually means the training camp in La Manga that is being held from May 20 - 25?

It would be great if he could force himself into the squad for the UEFA European U-19 Championship finals in Finland this summer (July 16 - 29). He only just qualifies, as the tournament is for players born on or after Jan 1 1999 and he was born on Jan 4 1999.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well done Max

Crawley born and bred,wonderful stuff

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Although the article states that it is a training camp in Manchester, I wonder if it actually means the training camp in La Manga that is being held from May 20 - 25?

It would be great if he could force himself into the squad for the UEFA European U-19 Championship finals in Finland this summer (July 16 - 29). He only just qualifies, as the tournament is for players born on or after Jan 1 1999 and he was born on Jan 4 1999.

Confirmation on the FA website here ---> England U19s squad set for training camp ahead of July's Euro Finals in Finland that Sanders is, indeed, in the 24-man group that has headed to La Mange for a 5-day training camp. Excellent experience for him, training with some of the most talented players of his age group. I imagine he must be an outsider to be selected for the final squad of 18 for the UEFA European U-19 Championship Finals tournament (having not previously been involved in the squad) but time will tell.

Goalkeepers: Brandon Austin (Tottenham Hotspur), Ellery Balcombe (Brentford), Jamie Cumming (Chelsea)

Defenders: Trevoh Chalobah (Chelsea), Marc Guehi (Chelsea), Reece James (Chelsea), Dujon Sterling (Chelsea), Japhet Tanganga (Tottenham Hotspur), Josh Tymon (Stoke City), Ben Wilmot (Stevenage)

Midfielders: Flynn Downes (Ipswich Town), Elliot Embleton (Sunderland), Adam Lewis (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Vitesse Arnhem - loan from Chelsea), Tristan Nydam (Ipswich Town), Max Sanders (Brighton & Hove Albion), Marcus Tavernier (Middlesbrough)

Forwards: Keanan Bennetts (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Bolton (Manchester City), Ben Brereton (Nottingham Forest), Tyrese Campbell (Stoke City), Phil Foden (Manchester City), George Hirst (Sheffield Wednesday), Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea)

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Confirmation on the FA website here ---> England U19s squad set for training camp ahead of July's Euro Finals in Finland that Sanders is, indeed, in the 24-man group that has headed to La Mange for a 5-day training camp. Excellent experience for him, training with some of the most talented players of his age group. I imagine he must be an outsider to be selected for the final squad of 18 for the UEFA European U-19 Championship Finals tournament (having not previously been involved in the squad) but time will tell.

Interesting that a Stevenage player is involved....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here