Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cambridge??

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Apologies if fixtures, but I got on a train at Brighton today that claimed to be going to Cambridge via St Pancras and Finsbury Park. So the Thameslink route from London Bridge to Blackfriars is obviously open again but I thought this wasn't due to happen until May. How long has this been going on then?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It's a 'taster' service with one in each direction, along with 2 each way between Horsham and Peterborough. It's a prelude to the main services going live in May.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's a 'taster' service with one in each direction, along with 2 each way between Horsham and Peterborough. It's a prelude to the main services going live in May.

Is it so they can practice their "We're sorry to announce the 08.43 service to Cambridge has been cancelled" announcements?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Apologies if fixtures, but I got on a train at Brighton today that claimed to be going to Cambridge via St Pancras and Finsbury Park. So the Thameslink route from London Bridge to Blackfriars is obviously open again but I thought this wasn't due to happen until May. How long has this been going on then?

Rail Minister says new Brighton to Cambridge train is sign of better things to come

... For the time being there is only one train a day, which leaves Brighton at 11.30am, but once GTR’s new timetable kicks in, in May, there will be one an hour. ...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I was sure someone on here would know ...!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I used the said service on Tuesday night, well, I got off in London but indeed the train was going all the way the Cambridge.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
What's the point? Can't be many who want to travel Brighton to Cambridge direct and surely just gives more opportunity for delays?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What's the point? Can't be many who want to travel Brighton to Cambridge direct and surely just gives more opportunity for delays?

There are stops between Brighton and Cambridge you know. It’s not non stop

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Brighton will be full of DFCs as well as DFLs in the summer now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having through trains, as well as being useful (and they do stop at intermediate stations on the way!) relieves the pressure at the already overcrowded and over worked London termini.
Not only do the trains not have to be serviced and turned around, fewer passengers have to add to the crowds crossing London to get from one terminus to another. Trains do all sorts of weird and wonderful journeys now - there is even (one each way per day) a train from Brighton to Gloucester, and I think there is still a Plymouth - Aberdeen service, for example - which years ago would have meant a train to Waterloo or Paddington and then one from King's Cross.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

I think the idea is to take as many people away from having to change in London's mainline stations as possible. It's just the
start.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here