Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Facebook Adverts

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My 29 yo Daughter lives with us at the moment. When she goes on Facebook her adverts are based on items my wife and I have viewed on amazon in the past days. Today it was a rotary airer (wife) & bluetooth device (me).
How does her facebook know what we've looked at on amazon and then try to sell it to her? She does not use our amazon account. Only connection is same wi-fi in the house and obviously we are friends on facebook but she has other friends as well who have amazon.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
My 29 yo Daughter lives with us at the moment. When she goes on Facebook her adverts are based on items my wife and I have viewed on amazon in the past days. Today it was a rotary airer (wife) & bluetooth device (me).
How does her facebook know what we've looked at on amazon and then try to sell it to her? She does not use our amazon account. Only connection is same wi-fi in the house and obviously we are friends on facebook but she has other friends as well who have amazon.

Facebook places a cookie on your PC that tracks everywhere you go. It's a bit creepy. But many sites do it. If you log out of Facebook and delete the cookie before you log in next time it issues a banner that talks about cookies and agreements. In short it gets pissed of with you. Legacy of free social media. NSC runs a similar thing. You don't get nowt for nothing. The price is a little cookie following you everywhere.

I didn't know it tracks all stuff over the wi-fi but I wouldn't be shocked.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

We had this a couple of years ago, when our nephews were using their iPad through our WiFi via BTHomehub.
We were getting gaming ads on our laptop.
All I did was clear their devices off the hub manager, reconnected them and ads disappeared.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Facebook targeting is generally via the FB Pixel. Essentially, if you visit a site who have implemented the FB Pixel then when you visit FB they are able to re-target to you, like this...

Remarket
Pixel tracking data allows you to show targeted ads to people who have already visited your site. You can choose to get really granular here—for example, you can show people an ad for the exact product that they abandoned in a shopping cart or added to a wishlist on your website.

This capability is why you should create a Facebook pixel now, even if you’re not using Facebook ads yet—so you have retargeting capabilities from your very first Facebook ad.​

If your daughter is not using the same computer or device as you, then it's probably this alternative use for the Pixel...

Create lookalike audiences

Facebook can use its targeting data to help you build a lookalike audience of people who have similar likes, interests, and demographics to people who are already interacting with your website, helping you expand your potential customer base.​

...based on location/IP address.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Three replies, and all frightening.
#Bozza, looked up the FB Pixel and the things you can do with it are mind boggling. Going to use it on my shop site.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here