Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Travelling to Old Trafford

nleaney

Dec 9, 2014
Never been before so wondered if anyone has recommendations on the best way of getting to the ground.

I'm driving up. Not sure whether to look for parking local to the ground or further afield and get the tram?

Hants_seagull

Jan 10, 2018
Horndean
I’ve always parked at the old Trafford cricket ground as it’s safe and well controlled, I think it was about £8 the only problem is if you want to get a quick get away as it can take up to an hour to get out after the match. If you get there early you can park near the exit on great stone road then it will save some time. If you want to get away quicker it might be better to park further away down Talbot road as there are loads of places that offer parking for a fee but to be honest the A56 is always clogged up after the match. You can park further out and get the tram but the queue for trans is often just as bad so be prepared for a bit of a wait whichever way you go!

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Booked parking space on justpark.com about 15min walk away for £7.80 and supposedly no hold up to get away after.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Staying in a travel lodge , getting away was a nightmare last time

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

NigelL

Feb 23, 2012
Thanks all. I think I'm going to try Media City / Lowry Outlet Centre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Or park at Altrincham or Sale Water Park and get the tram

Sale Water Park is a very good suggestion if driving straight back, as it’s right on the M60 and won’t be badly affected by match traffic. Direct tram to Trafford Bar (which is as close to the football ground as Old Trafford tram station), then for the return get a tram back from Trafford Bar heading towards Manchester Airport. The added bonus being that post match, the queues for trams heading away from the city centre are far shorter.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Thanks all. I think I'm going to try Media City / Lowry Outlet Centre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did that last time, and will do the same tomorrow.

Hoping to get out of the Car park quicker this time - have to be at Gatwick at 04.30

No extra time and pens please!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Using the same driveway via justpark.com that I used last time. 30 mins walk from the ground (back towards the M60) but saves an hour or more sat in static traffic. More worried about the post-match weather to be honest.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You can park on the street about five minutes further along from the car park. No queues or anything.

Now that sounds good. By 'further along', roughly where? I had a good look on google maps and street view and almost everywhere seems to be double yellowlines, or no parking areas. Any advice gratefully accepted!

Mind you - metcheck now says there will be a very high chance of snow during the match, so might all be sleeping in the cars anyway..

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Now that sounds good. By 'further along', roughly where? I had a good look on google maps and street view and almost everywhere seems to be double yellowlines, or no parking areas. Any advice gratefully accepted!

Mind you - metcheck now says there will be a very high chance of snow during the match, so might all be sleeping in the cars anyway..

I think it was Columbus Way we parked on - it was ideal during the day. Can't promise what it'll be like at night!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I read through the Old Trafford visitors' guide - it says there are intensive roadworks underway right through until 2020. How did this affect people getting to the ground by public transport? How much time pre-match should you leave before heading there from the city centre?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I read through the Old Trafford visitors' guide - it says there are intensive roadworks underway right through until 2020. How did this affect people getting to the ground by public transport? How much time pre-match should you leave before heading there from the city centre?

There are road works on the M60 updating it to a smart motorway, which is currently resulting in a 50 limit in some sections; it won’t have much of an effect on your journey tomorrow though.

If you’re going from the city centre, I don’t see that this will affect it at all. Tram to Old Trafford station is on the Altrincham line and takes about 7-8 mins. Top tip: trams going to the Airport and East Didsbury also stop at Trafford Bar, which, as I put in earlier post, is the same distance - about 5-10 mins on foot - to the football ground as actual Old Trafford station (which is right next to the cricket ground). Having said that, allowing for queues and crowds of 70,000 other people with the same idea, I’d allow 1 hour to get there from the city.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stockport here we come

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
There are road works on the M60 updating it to a smart motorway, which is currently resulting in a 50 limit in some sections; it won’t have much of an effect on your journey tomorrow though.

If you’re going from the city centre, I don’t see that this will affect it at all. Tram to Old Trafford station is on the Altrincham line and takes about 7-8 mins. Top tip: trams going to the Airport and East Didsbury also stop at Trafford Bar, which, as I put in earlier post, is the same distance - about 5-10 mins on foot - to the football ground as actual Old Trafford station (which is right next to the cricket ground). Having said that, allowing for queues and crowds of 70,000 other people with the same idea, I’d allow 1 hour to get there from the city.

Personally, I would just park in the city centre somewhere near the bottom of Princess Parkway and drive out onto the M56. That way you avoid all the bottlenecks on the M60.

And if you don't want to wait for a tram just walk back down the Bridgewater Canal. Its dark but loads of people did that when we played them in November.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here