Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Is it possible to get drunk on all-inclusive holidays

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Been on a few, and currently in Egypt. Don't think I've ever been close to being drunk despite often drinking copious amounts through the day. Not a bad thing necessarily as sometimes had my daughter so wouldn't want to, but not this time, and just wondered if it was possible. Gin says 40% and has plenty of beers but don't feel much at all

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been on a few, and currently in Egypt. Don't think I've ever been close to being drunk despite often drinking copious amounts through the day. Not a bad thing necessarily as sometimes had my daughter so wouldn't want to, but not this time, and just wondered if it was possible. Gin says 40% and has plenty of beers but don't feel much at all

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Go to an AI resort where there are a lot of Russian tourists.....they’ll show you how it’s done.

Kind of get where you’re coming from though.....can tend to drink steadily during the day in such a place without going mad, and hence not get bladdered. Plenty of food soaking it up as well usually. Beer and wine usually served in small measures, cocktails often quite weak........

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Went to an all inclusive hotel in Turkey. the spirit measures were huge. I was on G&T and having little effect. The gin said 40% on bottle. I had never seen the make before. the barman told me it was not for sale anywhere but was made for all inclusive hotels only. Makes you wonder a bit

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Clearly not trying hard enough - went to Sandals Jamaica on honeymoon and I don't remember the first two days. Long Island Iced Tea in Jamaica is boom!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Clearly not trying hard enough - went to Sandals Jamaica on honeymoon and I don't remember the first two days. Long Island Iced Tea in Jamaica is boom!

Negril?
I went there, beach bar was ace.
"Stripe me up" and Pina Coladas all day long.
Oh and the help yourself whippy ice cream machine.
Only downside was the daily walk along the waterfront by the perverts from Hedonism which was next door.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Negril?
I went there, beach bar was ace.
"Stripe me up" and Pina Coladas all day long.
Oh and the help yourself whippy ice cream machine.
Only downside was the daily walk along the waterfront by the perverts from Hedonism which was next door.

Nah - We were in the Royal Plantation in Ocho Rios. Long time ago.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Having spent a morning/afternoon on my honeymoon working my way through the cocktail menu front to back the answer is an unequivocal yes, I went back to our room to try and sleep it off, after an hour of trying to put some trousers on to go out for a meal room service was ordered and the day written off.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The trick is to go to an all inclusive that sells branded drinks rather than generic alcohol given names like Boofeater Gin, or Johnny Wilker.

We went to one where I got through about half a bottle of Jack Daniels each evening, got very drunk.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All days drinking in a Muslim country, that's what I call classy

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was in Hurghada in October AI and I was quite capable of getting drunk by mid afternoon, particularly if you hit the cocktails early. It does depend on the hotel though as some are tight on measures and use weaker spirits. The one we stayed at used what seemed like decent gin and vodka and made a mean G&T.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've done plenty and don't think it is worth it in Europe/Africa anymore. Last year went to Hurghada and drank from 11 till 11 and not getting tipsy until the bar closed when I wanted more!
Antigua AI was way better. One day on honeymoon it rained about 5 times by 11am. Gave up sitting on the beach, wife went and watched 8 weddings with some other women she met and I went to the bar. At the bar were the husband of the women my wife had met. We tried every rum cocktail imaginable and was absolutely smashed. Next day hurt though.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Never been to any of the Islamic countries but done Mexico and Dominican Republic and managed to get hammered pretty much every night. Beer was usually about 4%.

The trick is to drink through the day - but have a water between each beer. You can then maintain a standard level of pleasant drunkenness without losing the plot.

Then after dinner forget the water and smash through the beers and spirits into the night.

Tragedy is I used to be able to consistently do the above from 10am until at least midnight - 1am ish. These days I am falling asleep watching the evening entertainment. Especially if I have had a hefty dinner. On my last holiday I made it past midnight once in 2 weeks. Losing my touch...

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
You have to go high end AI and get the branded spirits.

Went to Antigua Sandals about 15 years ago and having only done budget AI before was astonished to find the minibar stocked to the gills with everything going including MOET, JD etc.

The frozen cocktails on tap at the pool bar/bought to your sun lounger on the beach were perfect post breakfast pick me up.

Supping frozen pina coladas whilst turning over every half an hour for five hours certainly gets you sloshed as does not realising how sloshed and falling over when you stand up to eventually take a dip.

I don’t think I remember much of the entire two week stay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The last time we went all inclusive (in Lanzorotte ) you could take a short cut from the bar back to our chalet by walking across the pool area.
Ha ....... the kids thought it was hilarious when dad when in - accidentally I may add.

I remember the whisky was awful but the vodka was bearable. Or was it the other way round, I dunno.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
You have to go high end AI and get the branded spirits.

Went to Antigua Sandals about 15 years ago and having only done budget AI before was astonished to find the minibar stocked to the gills with everything going including MOET, JD etc.

The frozen cocktails on tap at the pool bar/bought to your sun lounger on the beach were perfect post breakfast pick me up.

Supping frozen pina coladas whilst turning over every half an hour for five hours certainly gets you sloshed as does not realising how sloshed and falling over when you stand up to eventually take a dip.

I don’t think I remember much of the entire two week stay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've given it a good try at various Sandals (branded spirits and everything), including 4x at Antigua and a couple of weeks ago In Barbados - always failed to get past "nicely pissed" - which frankly i think is a good thing.

I tend to agree with the OP, its difficult to do =0)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here