Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Joke du Jour

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A jogger limbering up on Brighton seafront was shot by a man using a starting pistol this morning. The Police are treating it as a race related incident.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Any news on which race the jogger was hoping to compete in and was it a faulty starting pistol?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There’s something odd about this report - joggers aren’t involved in a race; if you’re in a race, you run. I’m not buying it.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Cutting Edge Radio BBC Sussex haven't reported this as yet.

Until Neil Pringle says this has happened it is False News as far as I'm concerned...

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A jogger limbering up on Brighton seafront was shot by a man using a starting pistol this morning. The Police are treating it as a race related incident.

The majority of races are now started by electronic starter systems that don't use pistols as such, but a button on a dummy prop pistol that can't be used as a firearm and that's wired to the timing system. When the button is pressed, a signal is sent to play a simulated gunshot that's broadcast to loudspeakers as well as starting the timing clock.

Unless an actual starting pistol was used which had been converted to firing live ammunition, it's unlikely that such a makeshift firearm was used in the shooting on Brighton seafront. Consequently, the veracity of this morning's story must be brought into question.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I was going to shoe in a few puns, but I've run out. Should've paced myself.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

I just despair at some of the happenings going on now in my home town. It's getting to the stage where it's not safe to leave your home. I live near the sea front so I'm staying in today just in case the gunman is still on the loose. I'll keep monitoring our local news and post here if there's any further updates. I really hope the jogger is OK?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
In general, starting pistols cannot easily be modified to take live ammunition, and seemingly those that can be converted have a history of backfiring and damaging the shooter. So, it would have to have been quite a determined piece of work to do this. However, if it did happen, the unfortunate jogger should be okay because starter pistols are generally fired pointing upwards, and bullets that go up into the air are generally unable to reach enough velocity on the way down again to injure someone seriously. It all sounds a bit unlikely to me.

Was the race abandoned?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's ok he was firing blanks, so a friend told me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There needs to be a detailed investigation into this, people will need to be patient, it's a marathon not a sprint

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've got a starting pistol

Do I win £10 ?

Hedgehogs . . . . Why can't they just share the hedge?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011

The plot thickens, the runner was later arrested on suspicion of doping; he was in fact shot by a person he thought he saw.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here