Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Doddy’s Dead

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Never really my cup of tea, but l realise he was loved by millions, and an absolute comedic legend to many.

R.I.P Sir Ken.
Saw him on tv leaving hospital not that long ago and he looked very frail. RIP Doddy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Saw him on stage years ago and was amazed as much as amused.

A complete one-off with shows regularly far exceeding any predicted finish timings.

He absolutely loved performing and was a master of comedy timing.

Here's a little of Ken in his prime:

Last edited:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Funny, funny man. Could reel of joke after joke at an amazing pace and his shows went on far longer than you expected. RIP.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Sir Ken...... A comedy legend. I saw him in Worthing twice and genuinely ached from laughing so much. Last of the old school variety acts.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
RIP. An extremely funny man. Loved watching his shows but never got to see him live. Great Tweet from a fellow comedian posted on twitter that is a nod to Ken's very long shows.....

RIP Sir Ken Dodd. One of the all time greats. The funeral will be held on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday. :lolol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Saw him on stage years ago and was amazed as much as amused.

A complete one-off with shows regularly far exceeding any predicted finish timings.

He absolutely loved performing and and was a master of comedy timing.

Here's a little of Ken in his prime:

Same here.
He was always on my bucket list and eventually about 10-12 years ago, I got to see him. The theatre was packed and the show started at 7.30pm. The first interval was at 9.45pm ( ish ) and there was a second short break about 11.20pm. He finished about an hour later ( i.e about 12.20am ) He had two supporting acts, who both did about 15-20 mins. The rest was Doddy. Topical and local gags, mixed in with a seemingly endless stream of material. He was warning the audience early on that they would all miss the last bus home and I think they thought he was joking. The performance was staggering. His energy, his quick-wittedness. Some people were laughing almost without a break. I left the theatre and saw a large crowd outside the stage door. I lingered briefly and his manager came out. She apologised to the assembled throng and said that Ken could only do 10 signatures, as he had to dash back to Liverpool for a Midday function ( It was 12.45am in Reading and he was about 80!! )
As far as I'm concerned, the two greatest ( old school ) stand-ups were Bob Monkhouse and Ken Dodd. Both consummate professionals, with an endless stream of material. The only difference between the two was that Doddy could sing as well. He was a one man laughter machine. Some didn't get him, fair enough, but he appealed to the broad masses and he was current. He kept updating his material and his work level and energy was remarkable. I remember his hit records, in particular Tears, Happiness and The River. He did have a very good voice. For my generation ( 60+ ) he was one of the last of that crop of post war comedians that we grew up with ( Cooper, Howard, Morecombe and Wise, Dawson etc ) He will be long remembered.
R.I.P.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP Sir Ken...... A comedy legend. I saw him in Worthing twice and genuinely ached from laughing so much. Last of the old school variety acts.

I remember that night Veg when we just had to leave because of the time and he threatened to follow us home and shout jokes through our letterbox. A true great.

“What a great day for shoving a broom handle up Nigel Mansells rear and shouting, hows that for pole position”

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Total legend. Saw him in Worthing about 10 years back and he was extraordinary - non-stop jokes, lots of local references and a master of timing. Bailed out just before midnight and he was still going strong. Unique and genuinely one of the greats.
Looking forward to the tribute shows.
RIP Sir Ken - your tickling stick shall live forever ����

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I have seen many comics live none match up to Doddy who I have been lucky enough to have seen live 8 times. I hardly recall him repeating a joke on any of the times.
RIP Doddy,the greatest of them all

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’m obviously in a complete minority judging by the posts on here, but I never found him remotely amusing.

And I always found his manner a bit creepy. The Diddymen?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Speaking to my dad yesterday about comedy back in the day, you were offered up some right shit.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
A penis a penis the gratest thing that i possess i thank the lord that ive been blessed with more than my share of a penis

Probably the nawtiest words ever sung on Top of the pops and you rodneys never got it

Three words

Rest in piece Doddy

regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here