Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The definition of a World Class Player

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Discussing Mark Lawrenson in the pub this weekend, and speculating if he had played on the World stage at Italia 90, would he have been lauded as a World Class Player?

But what is the definition of a world class player, I’ve always thought that if you looked at the top 4 national teams in the world, if a player from outside those 4 sides could get into one of the teams on merit , in their respective position, in my opinion that’s the definition of world class.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Would they be considered for Team Earth to represent us in the intergalactic football league.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The concept is meaningless. 'All about opinions' etc. Hyperbole - in football? Who would have known? :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On Mark Lawrenson which was his best position as CB alongside a player like Foster as he was for us or in midfield where he played most games for Liverpool.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Adrian Durham has a good way of judging if a player is world class. He says "if you had two teams of the best players in the world playing a match, would player x look out of place if he came on as a sub? If the answer is no, then he must be world class."

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
On Mark Lawrenson which was his best position as CB alongside a player like Foster as he was for us or in midfield where he played most games for Liverpool.
Midfield?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Discussing Mark Lawrenson in the pub this weekend, and speculating if he had played on the World stage at Italia 90, would he have been lauded as a World Class Player?

But what is the definition of a world class player, I’ve always thought that if you looked at the top 4 national teams in the world, if a player from outside those 4 sides could get into one of the teams on merit , in their respective position, in my opinion that’s the definition of world class.

Not sure about world class but according to Bastian Schweinstiger to be a legend you need to win a World Cup.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Best position was CB for Liverpool, but also played RB, CM and RM when needed.

He played as many games in midfield for Liverpool as foster did as a forward.

BG is mad for stating he mainly played there for them. Mad I tell thee

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Not sure about world class but according to Bastian Schweinstiger to be a legend you need to win a World Cup.

Easy for him to say, but I think Messi will be a legend even if he never wins one.

The definition of a World Class player?

1. Fabulous hair.
2. At least 100m Twitter, Facebook and Instagram followers.
3. Own brand of cooking sauces.
4. Has a private plane based in each of the 5 continents.
5. Finest image resolution on FIFA 18.

I don't think Lawrenson qualifies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here