Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] New build prefabricated houses, any experiences?

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
We're considering selling our house in suburban hell and buying a plot of land, building a prefab house - there's a company in Galashiels that's been recommended to us, they sell all sorts of styles, some are quite funky (see below).

I just worry that at our time of life there might be too much stress and hassle and difficulty or even risk involved - making me wonder if it's better to go the conventional route and buy a pre-existing house.

So I wonder if any NSCers have had experience, and would recommend the process, or warn against it? Any advice would be most welcomed.

PS We'd be looking either to buy a plot with planning permission or to buy a crappy bungalow and knock it down, replace it.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2018-03-10 08.44.29.png

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Just move to wales , plenty of run down plots to choose from and at silly prices , there are some seriously cheap houses in beautiful remote / edge of village surroundings , having just been on a rekky in mid wales i'm seriously thinking of upping sticks and going for it , for example 4 bed detached with outbuildings and half a acre of land 167k , and that's not unusual , as Tom would say .

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A friend of ours built himself a Pottern house some years back, and very nice it was too. I don’t think it was any cheaper than building a house from scratch but it certainly was quicker. That said, your biggest problem could be finding a plot in the first place.

Do it !

I moved from the centre of Bristol to rural Somerset last summer and although I didn't self build, just getting out of the city has been fantastic. Big skies, clean air, starry nights, bonfires, trees, birds etc etc. Im never living in a city or town again, in fact I think I want to go even more rural at some point.

Just move to wales , plenty of run down plots to choose from and at silly prices , there are some seriously cheap houses in beautiful remote / edge of village surroundings , having just been on a rekky in mid wales i'm seriously thinking of upping sticks and going for it , for example 4 bed detached with outbuildings and half a acre of land 167k , and that's not unusual , as Tom would say .

Where abouts have you been looking ?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Where abouts have you been looking ?

Started at the villages just out of Borth / Aberystwyth / Aberaeron / just amazed at the amount of 3/4 bed places there are for less than a 1 bed flat in Brighton , going down again week after next to look at the other side of the dovey estuary Maccanelyth areas .

Started at the villages just out of Borth / Aberystwyth / Aberaeron / just amazed at the amount of 3/4 bed places there are for less than a 1 bed flat in Brighton , going down again week after next to look at the other side of the dovey estuary Maccanelyth areas .

Yeah Ive just been looking on Rightmove around Lampeter. Bloody hell !! I'm off, see you there.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Yeah Ive just been looking on Rightmove around Lampeter. Bloody hell !! I'm off, see you there.

Yep looked at Lampeter but just a little further inland than i would want to be from the sea , the one main thing for me about it was the amount of traffic or lack of , i know in the summer it's a holiday destination mecca for caravanners but the place just ticks all the boxes .

kjgood

great if you don't have to work

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Bungalows are very expensive. My in-laws sold their 3 bed bungalow in Burgess hill for £330k and moved to Camarthenshire to a 3 bed cottage with 4 acres of land for £230k in 2015. There are plenty of cheap houses around

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove

And I've seen far cheaper than that, I am on the look out there too but with a total budget of 80k cash & I am finding options. It's just about the only area that is affordable.

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute

Thinking west coast of Scotland/Island/loch-side

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here