Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] BBC 4 Music Tonight

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Warms up with the Making of Pet Sounds at 8PM, then an hour about Minimalism finishing with Tubular Bells & Mike Oldfield, something there for everyone of a Certain Age I would have thought...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Actually TOTP 1985 starts proceedings, bloody hell I had forgotten how crap the Charts were back then.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Beach Boys saving the day...:thumbsup:

Just watching now, put me in mind of the film a few years back, Love and Mercy, especially the way Brian would work in the studio.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think I saw another cracker in this series, The Making of Aja with Donald Fagen and the sadly now deceased Walter Becker. Similar amazing dedication to excellence.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Warms up with the Making of Pet Sounds at 8PM, then an hour about Minimalism finishing with Tubular Bells & Mike Oldfield, something there for everyone of a Certain Age I would have thought...

I'm 32 and those both sound right up my ALLEY.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Pet Sounds was wonderful, I think Glass and Reich may well lose some Beach Boys fans. :lolol:

EDIT: Mrs Jakarta has just voted with her feet - you have very weird musical tastes :(

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
2 down, 1 to go, some of the Minimalism programme was wonderful, just wish they had mentioned the cross pollination with Ambient music & Krautrock.

Here comes Mad Mike Oldfield...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But as we can see sadly mentally unstable. Sort of Bookends Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys earlier I suppose.

Suffers from mental illness, like many people, including commonly creative types ... Spike Milligan springs to mind. Lovely to see that it was mentioned he was in a better place when the doc was made in 2013. I've loved alot of his music, much not covered, he's brought a lot of joy to others.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Suffers from mental illness, like many people, including commonly creative types ... Spike Milligan springs to mind. Lovely to see that it was mentioned he was in a better place when the doc was made in 2013. I've loved alot of his music, much not covered, he's brought a lot of joy to others.

It was an interesting programme. I didn't know that about his mental state, glad to see he's come out of the dark place.

It was poignant for me to see my old mucker Karl Dallas interviewed. He died a couple of years ago so it was a real voice from the past.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
For those who like Mike Oldfield I have attached an astonishing video on Youtube from a BBC Programme called Second House where Tubular Bells is played live by what seems to be virtually every artist on Virgins Books plus a few extras - progtastic stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbreYtwMc_0

Thats great, I was hoping Vivian Stanshaw would appear doing the vocals but sadly it was a recording. Great watch though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here