Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Overrated films?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I went to see '3 Billboards' yesterday. Was really looking forward to it given the general hype. I didn't think it was a disaster but I was pretty disappointed. The premise of the plot was good I thought but it just kind of spiralled out of control. There were far too many plot devices for it to ring true. The tone was odd. It was meant to be darkly funny/quirky but the humour often didn't work or jarred a bit. It just didn't hang together and was only really saved by the lead, Oscar-winning, performance.

Anyway you might agree/disagree with me on tis one. But any other nominations for overrated movies out there?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Lost in Translation

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Blairwitch project. remember people raving about it, went to see it and couldn't get past the fact it just looked like a rubbish home video!

Not sure whether, at the time, it was clever marketing to say people were running out the cinema screaming, or whether those people actually DID find it that scary! I only saw it about 2 years ago for the first time, on a TV in a lit room, which didn't help the atmos that would induce fear. It was OK, but I was a bit disappointed.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The Matrix.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
On a side subject, I was thinking only yesterday after seeing a poster on the tube, how marketing makes me a bit annoyed at times. One pet hate is when they say 'The feel good film of the year'. Don't know why - it just annoys me. And US film adverts, where they cram about 15 'highlights' (including a compulsory clip of someone falling over) into a 10 second ad. It results in an incoherent mess.

Back on topic - I'll throw Reservoir Dogs in if I may.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Still never got through the whole of Blade Runner. The design of the whole thing is staggering but the story just bored me.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Any Tarantino film since Jackie Brown.

Type 'Any Tarantino film since Jackie Brown' again. Type 'Any Tarantino film since Jackie Brown' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, type 'Any Tarantino film since Jackie Brown' one more goddamn time!

Personally I thought Jackie Brown was biggest bore fest committed to celluloid until Inception came along some years later.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
On a side subject, I was thinking only yesterday after seeing a poster on the tube, how marketing makes me a bit annoyed at times. One pet hate is when they say 'The feel good film of the year'. Don't know why - it just annoys me. And US film adverts, where they cram about 15 'highlights' (including a compulsory clip of someone falling over) into a 10 second ad. It results in an incoherent mess.

Back on topic - I'll throw Reservoir Dogs in if I may.

The best are the selective quoting snippets, where the actual review might have said something like: 'Promised to be an action packedroller coaster ride and almost delivered but not quite.' The film poster will say: 'An action packed roller coaster ride'

Never go and see a film where one of the 5 star reviews on the poster is by Grazia or some ridiculously obscure US website like 'Sci Fi Zone.'

Oct 25, 2003
Wolf of Wall Street. Several people told me it was brilliant. Watched it and thought meh!

Agreed- thought it was absolute bullshit and didn’t connect with any of the characters at all. Also was about an hour too long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here