Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Van Morrison.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I've seen him several times in the past and was lucky to catch him on a good night every time. However, like maltaseagull, I don't bother these days because a) he's so temperamental
and b) the prices always seem OTT much as I do love him.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Much the same really, last time Brighton must be 8 years ago.
Chris Farlowe was supporting, he was good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I’ve seen him in concert several times, but have no desire to see him again. He once occupied the next urinal to me at Membury service station.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
seen him three times, first he was good, but bloody miserable. 2nd was good but had a right strop on and moaning at the audience. 3rd was good but cut show short and muttered something as he went storming off.

love his music but would never pay to see him again. if you don't like performing live the don't.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I like most of his music but I saw him live on TV a while back and to be honest after 3 songs I got a bit bored.

Yeah - he really phoned that performance in. Considering the quality of his albums his live performances leave a lot to be desired.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Oddly, I have just finished reading Dr No this evening.

You were much more frightening in the book than the film.

And you are much more frightening in the film than on NSC.

:thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Was at Ronnie Scott's early 90's listening to Georgie Fame in full flow when Van the miserable man walked in and joined him. He was actually happy that night and they performed together for half an hour just yards from our table. A memorable night.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
First time I saw him at Lidiard Park with Brian Kennedy he was brilliant. The next time at Swindon he played with his back to the audience the whole time. Short show, mumbling profanities the whole time and no encode. Next time at Glos he refused to play any hits and it was entirely Jazz of the type I can't stand. He's made some superb albums but there's no way I'd ever spend my hard earned going to a gig of his again.

Mrs. P. is a huge fan. Seen him three times, Dome twice I think and the Centre in the early noughties. Must have been lucky as I enjoyed each gig.

At the Centre I think it was during "Have I told you lately.." that a cuddly toy sheep descended from the lighting gantry and swung around the stage. This caused Van to collapse in fits of laughter such that he couldn't continue the song. No idea what this joke was about, we suspect it could have been along the lines of "Have I told ewe lately...". Whatever it was he as in a jovial (for him) mood). Guitar legend Mick Green (Wilko Johnson's biggest influence) was also in his touring band at that time. Van seemed genuinely in awe of him as when it came to band introductions he mentioned that "...I have only got an OBE, but this guy is currently recording with Sir Paul McCartney".

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Last edited:

the captain

May 21, 2013
van morrison

Royal Albert Hall late 80s
The Dome 1994
Hop Farm 2010

The best by far was The Dome - One of the best I've seen by anyone http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f1...-brighton-6-august-1994-cd-covers-134827.html
At the end of the gig Van asked the audience if anyone in the crowd had taped it, as it wanted a copy. It was that good!

This sums him up he is the best and the worst performer I have seen because he just goes with it, if in the mood and the music takes him which when it does is amazing [just listen to a night in san fransisco ,it's too late to stop now or live in dublin to hear him at his sublime best].However for the same reason if he isn't in the mood he can be awful and either can't be bothered or isn't able to raise his game when he's feeling down .Probably worth taking a gamble in the hope he might have a good evening [a bit like another great..Neil Young].Trouble is it's so much bloody money to see live music these days
a bit Like the Ginola of pop music!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What do you think of his wonky fruit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here