Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 'John Lewis staff bonus cut again'

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
SECOND headline on the BBC website.

Firstly, is this actually a news story worthy of being anywhere near the top of the website?

Secondly, ONLY a 5% bonus? Oh my heart bleeds! Bonus - just looking up in dictionary - oh, it's extra money on top of a salary.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Firstly, is this actually a news story worthy of being anywhere near the top of the website?

Secondly, ONLY a 5% bonus? Oh my heart bleeds! Bonus - just looking up in dictionary - oh, it's extra money on top of a salary.

Profits down 70% is probably the bigger story..

To be fair they are a partnership run organisation so fairly unique as a company so not just some random PLC / Ltd company offering a bonus.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Jealous? Go out and work a bit harder or acquire some new skills or qualifications then and maybe you could earn more money too.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Tch, I’ve never been given a staff bonus. I consider myself lucky if I get a box of Family Circle biscuits from my bosses.

SAC

May 21, 2014
A great company. One of the few department stores to retain loyalty from its customers as well as treating its staff well. A 5% bonus when profits are down 70% is pretty decent.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

CEOs and bankers get (huge) bonuses as a matter of routine - why is it wrong for shop-floor staff to get a bonus too?

I don't resent them for it - they damn well deserve it if their work has contributed to the firm's success.

I'd like to see John Lewis forms of profit-sharing adopted by many more companies.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
John Lewis / Waitrose partnership are staff owned, therefore give the profits back rather than to shareholders. Not worked there personally however friends who have really liked the company/ethos and of course the fact that if things go well they get rewarded rather than shareholders.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
CEOs and bankers get (huge) bonuses as a matter of routine - why is it wrong for shop-floor staff to get a bonus too?

I don't resent them for it - they damn well deserve it if their work has contributed to the firm's success.

I'd like to see John Lewis forms of profit-sharing adopted by many more companies.

My point was that is was such a high profile news story on the BBC. I'm fully aware that companies give bonuses, and I'm not saying they aren't deserved at all. I was just pointing out that it was only in the news because the bonus was only 5%. If they'd said JL staff are getting a 5% pay cut - yes, that would be news worthy.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
My point was that is was such a high profile news story on the BBC. I'm fully aware that companies give bonuses, and I'm not saying they aren't deserved at all. I was just pointing out that it was only in the news because the bonus was only 5%. If they'd said JL staff are getting a 5% pay cut - yes, that would be news worthy.

It's new, people are interested. It's news.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
After 25 years on BT i received 4 glasses slid down a table in a small meeting room . I am not a number !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don’t think I’ve ever been in a John Lewis. I certainly haven’t bought anything from them. Do people even visit department stores these days? Surely it’s a matter of time before they’re gone?

JL is probably the only high street store I visit regularly. Good to be able to look at some products, a very good homeware collection. Also one of the only retailers to give a minimum 2 year guarantee on all products which has saved me hundreds / thousands of pounds over the years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do people even visit department stores these days?

Yes. They’re probably the only stores I visit aside from supermarkets, record and Apple shop. Take Selfridges, most things you need under one roof.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
John Lewis is a magnificent store, particularly for homewares and furniture, and a wonderful British institution.

I'm now going to browse their range of not-inexpensive desks in order to do my bit for their partnership bonus for this trading period.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here